Prologue ~ The End of an Era

An antinatural silence reigned over the Tower of Fire. The sun blazed at its cenit, and no breeze alleviated the dryness in the air. No sound at all was heard. Uncomfortable under the weight of their copper and bronze armours, the fire wizards awaited; immobile. Arranged in columns of swordsmen, spearmen and archers, hundreds of wizards - an entire army - kept an impeccable formation within the tower's protective layer of stone and granite. Two figures, standing on the tower's wall, looked over the crenel and into the distance.

One of them was an adult man, of advanced age, although his face, marked with wrinkles, showed an implacable character and an iron will. He dressed in a blood red robe, hardly visible underneath a glittering armour, and several medals of different sizes hung from his chest. With every subtle move, his clothes seemed to burn and glow like candent steel. His long hair and black beard fell down his neck like a cascade of liquid coal, and his brown eyes gleamed with determination, fixed on the horizon. Near him, resting on the crenel, a long silver sword hilt with rubies waited to be called into battle.

The second figure belonged to a teenage boy. It was evident he stood by his father. His dark hair and sharp face served to identify him. He dressed in a red robe too, although without any medals. His breathing was agitated, and his glance more anxious, in contrast with his father's apparent tranquility. The two held a conversation, almost whispering.
- I'll tell you once more, son, go to the portal. - Said the man, still looking over the wall.
- This is also my home, father. I have learnt a lot, I can do it. I want to fight. - The boy spoke fast and his voice trembled, but he looked at his father intently. The man turned his head away from the horizon and looked at his son, with a saddened smile on his lips.
- I am very proud of you, son. - He seized the boy's shoulder, making a metallic sound with his armour. - But I can't afford to loose you too. We are all in danger, and they will need a leader on the other side. Please, go to the portal.

The quietness was abruptly broken by a screech: A horrible, long and piercing sound, which made its way through the tower's walls and reached all its dwellers; filling their hearts with pure terror. Some fell on their knees, and others held their heads with their hands, trying to block out the awful shriek. It only lasted a few seconds and faded into the silence. The fire wizards silently returned to their positions after the initial shock, and held their weapons of choice tighter than ever, fearful. The man on the wall, unaffected, kept looking over the crenel, scrutinising the surroundings, the flame of determination had not left his eyes. He seemed to have caught sight of something.
- Just like the others said... - He murmured to himself. He immediately realised the boy was still standing next to him. Without looking at his son, he added - Portal. Now.

Following his father's glance, over the vast clearing in front of the tower and into the forest beyond, the boy observed the origin of the sound. A dark mass, an enormous shadow, marched through the forest, some miles away. It extended in all directions, its limits were out of sight. An army of unknown nature, greater than any other the boy had ever seen, inexorably advanced towards them. The slow and constant sound of war drums reached his ears: a deep, ancient sound, somehow more terrifying than the screech, coming from the forest. The boy's face turned pale as flour, and his green eyes widened, fearful. He did not question his father's orders again, and ran towards the nearest wooden door; the sound of his feet silenced by the drumbeat. Before he could disappear inside the tower, he looked back one last time. He met his father's eyes, who forcedly smiled again, and said:
- I will bring you back. I promise. - Seconds later, the boy disappeared behind the door.

After a few seconds the man, now turning his back to the wall and looking at all the wizards in armour, spoke loudly, to make himself audible over the threatening drums.
- Fire wizards! Brothers! - A wave of recognition and renewed courage travelled through the rows of armoured soldiers, as they looked up to his leader, several feet above them. - Can you all hear the drums of war? Do you feel your hearts beating? The adrenaline flowing? Our families, homes and lives are being threatened! Whatever we are facing here today; whatever and whoever the enemy may be, will pay for such a threat! Let them feel the power of our fire! Let them burn under the heat of our flames! Fire wizards, I ask you now:
Will you follow me? - His voice had been growing in volume, and he concluded lifting his sword over his head and roaring at the top of his lungs.