Fear

Donald Cragen gently tucked the young woman in, softly kissing her forehead before exiting the room. Anger still seethed inside of him at the very thought of Serena Benson. How could she treat such a wonderful woman, let alone her own daughter, like shit? He was startled out of his thoughts when Olivia started screaming in fear, a nightmare having woken her from her slumber.  He quicky rushed into her room, and upon his arrival, sat on the bed and wrapped his arms around the distraught young woman. He squeezed her close as he began to sing. "And when you go through the valley, and the shadow comes down from the hill. If morning never comes to be, be still, be still, be still."

      She snapped out of her nightmare, fleetingly looking up at him with her tear-filled doe brown eyes before quickly burying her head in the crook of his neck. He rubbed a gentle hand up and down her arm as he wondered: How could anybody NOT love this woman? "One time, my mom came home. She looked at me for two seconds, and I realized then that she was out for blood. I started crying from pure fear when she grabbed me and threw me hammer throw style up against the wall. She grabbed a gun, pointed it at me, and said, 'Now you have something to be scared about.' That was what my nightmare was about," she murmured just loud enough for him to discern.