1. Recognizing Your True Identity

Believe it or not, there is a population of Generation Z who suffers from an identity crisis, whether or not they are aware of it.

Oxford Dictionary defines identity crisis as "a period of uncertainty and confusion in which a person's sense of identity becomes insecure, typically due to a change in their expected aims or role in society."

The concept of identity crisis originated from psychologist Erik Erikson, who claimed that at this stage, people tend to question their sense of self and belonging.

As to why they question their self-image? Factors may include cultural upbringing, socio-political environment, and such. But more than that, I want to tackle the most important factor that people often miss when talking about identity crisis–the spiritual factor.

I often hear teenagers say either of two things: "hindi ko na alam kung sino ako" or "ganito talaga ako".

You see, both statements are problematic.

The first one implies confusion. Perhaps they are unsure of their identity because it is rooted somewhere else. Maaaring nakabase ito sa sinasabi ng ibang tao sa kanila. It could also be a result of overanalyzing oneself, which truly happens in some cases.

The second one implies deception. When a distorted view of one's identity happens, they may think they cannot change themselves. Thus, concluding that's just the way they are, and no one should tell them otherwise.

Due to these two types of mindsets, it's challenging for Gen Z's to recognize who they really are. Nasanay kasi tayo na nakadepende sa opinyon ng tao kung sino ba talaga tayo, at sa opinyon natin sa sarili natin.

That's why we are having this kind of crisis.

There is only one way to overcome confusion and deception over one's identity. That is to seek our Creator.

Since God created us, it is only right to think na Siya ang nakakaalam sa kung sino ba talaga tayo at kung ano ang purpose natin dito sa mundo.

TRUTH #1. WE ARE ALL GOD'S CREATION.

A. GOD CREATED US.

For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. (Colossians 1:16 ESV)

It is important to realize that we have a Creator who designed our bodies. God is the creative power behind the complexities of human DNA. Nilikha Niya ang sangkatauhan gamit ang kapangyarihan Niya at para sa kaluwalhatian Niya.

If you'll ask, "kung nilikha tayo ng Diyos, sino ang lumikha sa Kaniya?" Well, cause-and-effect does not apply in this case. Why? Because God lives outside time. Everything that is bounded by time is subject to change including a cause-and-effect relationship. God does not change and will never change. Therefore, He is absolute. He is the great "I AM". The existence Himself.

B. GOD CREATED US IN HIS IMAGE, AFTER HIS LIKENESS

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." (Genesis 1:26 ESV)

Noong nilikha tayo ng Diyos, He intended for us to look like Him. We are bearers of the image of God. Sa sobrang buti ng Diyos, nais Niya na ibahagi ang imahe ng Kaniyang pagiging mabuti, and that is through us, His creation. Although, this does not mean na magiging kapantay na ng creation ang Creator. This only means na desire ni Lord lumikha ng creation na kawangis Niya.