Chapter 12

Jace's POV

The next morning, I decided to surprise Katie and pick her up on my way to school. I pulled up to her house and knocked on her front door. Her mom opened it and to say it was awkward would be an understatement. I had never met her mom, but from what Katie says about her, I had zero respect for the woman standing in front of me.

"Can I help you?" Her voice was rough like sandpaper and there were deep bags under her eyes. I cleared my throat.

"Yeah, is Katie here?" I asked her as politely as possible.

"She slept over Bob's last night," she responded. Bob? Who the fuck is Bob? I played it off as if I knew exactly who she was talking about

"Oh, yeah, okay," I said and I turned around and walked back to my car. I got in and started driving. I knew it was too good to be true. Katie was everything I wanted and she was everything I liked. How stupid could I be? Everything was so perfect. It was too perfect. I pulled into the school student parking lot and got out of my car and went to class.

It wasn't until lunch that Katie came up to me. 

"Hey," she said with a smile.

"Hi," I greeted back, not at all in the mood for a conversation.

"So I was thinking, this afternoon after both of our practices. You, me, and--"

"I'm busy," I tell her. She raises her eyebrows and chuckles.

"Okay," she responds, "How about tomorrow after practice?"

"Busy," I said again.

"The day after that?"

"Actually, I'm busy for most of the week. So yeah," I say and I stand up, my appetite lost. I can't believe she was so calm after she just came from a guy's house after sleeping over there. I can only imagine what happened last night. Right after I had spent the whole day with her, she ran off to spend the night with another guy. I started walking away, but she quickly follows after me.

"Jace!" she yells. I quicken my pace. I notice the curious eyes turning our way, but they were all out of view by the time I had entered the mostly empty halls. Unfortunately, Katie caught up with me. She quickly grabbed my arm, "Jace! What the fuck? Did I do something?" I scoff.

"I don't know. Why don't you tell me?" She looked genuinely confused. What a fake facade.

"I have no idea why you're mad at me. I can't recall something stupid I did, but I don't exactly catch on to the stupid things I do, so please enlighten me." She begged.

"Maybe you don't count it as stupid then. I mean I consider spending a whole day with me and then sleeping over another boys house that same night pretty stupid," I say. And do you want to know what she did? She laughed! At that moment, I was speechless. I didn't know if she was on something or just crazy, "Are you drunk?" She continues to laugh, "High?" I ask. She slows her laughs and tries to catch her breath. I stared down the hallway trying to see if I missed something. Did she really find this funny? Is this where she tells me that the jokes on me and she tricked me. Like she would ever associate herself with someone.

"Bob?" I nod and red flashes before my eyes at the name. Bob, classic, boring, Bob. You know what, she would go for a Bob. Very original Katie, "You think that Bob and I?" She starts laughing again.

"I don't know what's so funny. Was this whole thing a joke to you the entire time Katie? Because if so, congrats you tricked me!" I say, my voice stern with a hint of annoyance. She sobers up again from her laughs.

"Bob is my parole officer. I told you how my parole officer and I are close, right? Yeah, well, sometimes I sleep over his house," She explains and a dumb look comes across my face. Bob. Her parole officer. That's what I was worried about? God, I'm such an idiot! "I don't think you have anything to worry about Jace. Bob is kind of a middle-aged guy who I have no interest in whatsoever." I cover my face with my hands in embarrassment. I can't believe I would even think anything other of Katie.

"Katie..." I trail off, not knowing how to explain myself to her.

"How did you even know I spent the night there?" She asked me before I even had a chance to apologize for how overdramatic I was.

"I went to your house this morning to surprise you and pick you up to take you to school," A small smile crosses her face as she hears this, "Your mom opened the door and told me you stayed at Bob's. I kind of got super pissed." I explained.

"Oh, I could tell. You were pretty mean to me, Jace Martin! Bruised my heart," She said as she jokingly pouted her bottom lip and placed a hand over her heart. My mind started trailing off at the thought of her lips, but I snapped myself out of it before it could go any farther.

"I'm so sorry. I really feel like an idiot now. Ugh" I groan. She chuckles and I lean my head back against the locker behind me.

"You should be. You need to make it up to me somehow." She said with a smirk present on her face. I look down into her eyes and see the fire brewing inside of them.

"I think that can be arranged," I say as I circle my hands around her waist. I pull her into me and kiss the top of her head.
"Oh, come on! Can I get some more action than a peck on the head?" She whispers huskily into my ear. This girl does crazy things to me.

"Ah ah ah, no PDA," I tell her. She rolls her eyes and quickly gets on her tippy toes to peck my lips. I laugh and then step away from the lockers, pulling her along with me, "Come on, let's get back to lunch. I somehow got my appetite back." I say as she stumbles after me.

"Yes, somehow, it magically appeared as soon as I got a chance to explain myself, hmmm. That's odd!" She says teasing me.
"So very odd indeed," I reply and continue to pull her.

A/N

So just got back from hanging with some friends and other people I don't like and I'm not exactly completley in the right state of mind. Like I am, but I'm just a tad bit dizzy, but high school, right? Anywho, at least I remebered to publish so... you are very welcome. Bye now!

Hope you enjoyed! 

Lots of love, 

Ana<3