Chapter 2: Something Goes Terribly Wrong

Suddenly, I found myself lying in a grassy field. My mind felt foggy, but it seemed like a success. I took a little time to recuperate, and regain my mental consciousness. Then, I came into realization that I made it into my subconscious. I was unaware of what really went down. I sat up to find myself overlooking a busy city. Then, I test if this is my subconscious for real. I imagined myself holding a cherry pie. I looked down at my hands, and nothing came about. After attempting to imagine things for a good ten minutes, I remembered that the STAT gave me an ear piece that allowed me to communicate with them. I called on them, to try to get a hold of them. After five minutes of wasted effort, I lost hope. All I knew was that something went terribly wrong. Why couldn't I contact the STAT? Why isn't my imagination producing what I wish? And also, where's Austin? We're supposed to be in this subconscious together. Yep. Something went terribly wrong. And I need to find out soon. Then, an image burned into my mind. An image of me and Austin playing on the swings at our favorite playground when we were just five years old. It was a sweet memory, but it gave me a massive headache as it intensified. It shot my senses, it sent pain throughout my body, and it ate away at my mind. I then fall back to the ground, losing consciousness again. I woke up again, but this time, back in the STAT room. I'm so glad to be back! But something doesn't seem quite right to me. I push the glass open, and to my surprise, there was no one. Absolutely no one. I stand up, feeling a tad bit lightheaded. Then I realize that I just came out of Austin's pod. I quickly look over to my pod, to see my motionless body. I look at myself, hoping that we didn't switch subconscious minds. Luckily, I was in my original body. That begs the question though, why are there two me's, and where's Austin? Then, the memory of the swings come back, but this time, Austin isn't on the swing. He's nowhere to be found. Then the word "Malfunction" burns into my mind. My body shuts down, and then the word intensifies. I wake up back into the field. The splitting headache was oh so painful. Then, I saw it. The swing set. Someone sat there, and it looked like a young me. I called out to him, but he had his back turned. I ran as fast as I could to the swing. It was as if I was attracted by a magnet. After I finally reach the swing, I tap him on the shoulder. It was the same clothing from the memory. I walk to the front of him to see his face. But I couldn't see his face, because he didn't have a face. It was missing. He stands up, and levitates towards me, which freaks me out. I run, and run, and keep on running not knowing what this living Hell is.