Chapter 1: Hanging out at Home

I walked into my cabin, smiling. For the first time all day I had peace and quiet. I just wanted to lay down. The good thing about living so far from town was that I could just sit in silence and be content. I could do whatever I wanted out here.

Suddenly, I heard muffled shouts outside. What was going on? I wasn't expecting anyone. I look outside only to see a man in preacher's clothes holding up a Bible, turned to an increasingly angry crowd. I'm terrified. What were they doing out there? Why were they so angry? Were they out there because of me? What had I done?

I closed the curtains and ran to my bedroom, locking the door. Perhaps if it didn't look like I was here, they'd leave me alone.

Suddenly, I realized, they were here because of Lance. Lance had told them. I had kissed Lance suddenly out of a burst of passion I had had for him. He kissed me back, but he was afraid of the church and their feelings on the matter of homophilia.

He was a fool. We could hide. We had hidden our feelings this long. I had only begun to realize the feelings I had were love for my fellow man. I had found Lance attractive from the moment we met, with his strong, angular jaw, and lightly tanned skin. Those coppery, brown eyes of his had enamored me for months.

As I heard the breaking of windows, and the screaming of “fag”, “sodomite”, “queer” perverted my ears. I looked around for a way to escape. The window? No, no, they would soon see me running to the woods. The attic? Possibly, though it was hard to get up there quickly, as well as pulling down and pulling up the ladder in time for them not to see me.

“We will cleanse this town of this sodomite before he perverts more with his sinful ways!” I heard the preacher yell from just beyond the door. God, I was going to die today.

The realization struck me. Was I really going to die? What if I did? Wouldn't that be a relief? It's obvious that people want me dead. Even if I escaped this they would just hunt me down again and try to kill me for something I could only pretend I wasn't.

Before I could make a decision if I really wanted to live, the preacher busts in. Looking at me as if I was his version of pure evil. But I saw recognition in his eyes, he was doing this to make me take the blame, he was a homophile too. I nodded at him in solidarity. It wasn't in his interest to kill me. He wouldn't. He'd slap me around a bit and leave.

He grabbed my arm roughly and dragged me outside. The mob screaming at me.

Fag! Faggot! Sod! Sodomite! And a mix of other slurs assaulted my ears. I blinked tears away. I'd live, thank the Lord, but I would never be looked at the the same.

“This man has committed a dreadful sin! He has laid with another man against the other man's will!” The preacher shouted, further angering the mob.

What?! No! Lance and I had only just kissed. Maybe I had touched his lower regions, but I had never laid with him. He was too afraid to do that. And he had kissed me back! I never did anything he didn't wish!

“This man if not stopped will force further sexual deviancy on other men! On your young boys!” The preacher belted out, shaking his fists.

Stopped? What in the devil did he mean by I needed to be stopped?

My answer came when he again dragged me. This time in the direction of the nearest strong tree. There was a noose there. I started to struggle.

“Please sir! I didn't touch the other man! He is lying! I've never done anything of homosexual nature! Please don't do this!” I screamed, struggling.

I was going to die today.

He slapped me across the face. “Shut up, faggot.”

I was stunned into silence as they shoved my head into the noose. Then I started to scream. As they hoisted me up, my screams fell upon uncaring ears. My screams turned to gross, choking noises as the rope tightened. The crowd only cheered.

“Die homo!”

My vision starts to blur and my head starts to pound. I was dying, I knew this, and I don't know why, but I didn't care.

“Kill the faggot!”

The last thing I really saw was the face of Lance, crying, I read his lips as 'I’m sorry’, but I have no idea what he really said. And then my world went dark as the chanting started to swirl and twirl together, I could barely hear it and it almost sounded like a song. A song that sung me into eternal sleep…

A/N
Hey, tell me if you liked this chapter and don't forget to vote!