Chapter Four

"Yeah, I'm good," Kyle says, keeping his eyes on the gay couple.

"Are you okay?" He asks, pulling at his shirt collar like it's hot inside the air conditioned restaurant. I raise my eyebrow.

"I'm good," I awkwardly reply. I guess Brent never picked up on Kyle not being comfortable with guys dating. Then again, that kind of thing probably doesn't come up much during sports matches.

"So, Brent said you are really good at pool. Want to play a game while we wait for the food?" He suggests, clearly trying to break the awkwardness. I'm just thankful that even though he's clearly uncomfortable he isn't being hateful. I shrug and nod, wondering what he'd think if he knew I liked girls.

"Brent lied to you, though. I'm horrible at pool," I admit as we approach the table and grab our pool ball beating sticks. Or at least, that's what I imagine they're called.

"Brent didn't tell me that. I just made it up," he laughs. I frown. Even if he's just playing around, I'm not sure if I like the idea of him putting words in Brent's mouth.

"Ladies first," he says. "Or do you need me to teach you how to do it?" He steps a little closer to me, ready to help me with my pool stick, and I almost use the stick to smack him away from me. He steps back.

"I know how to play," I say quickly. The thought of his muscular tanned arms flexing around me while I hold the pool stick makes me feel nauseous.

I'm sure, like Brent said, a lot of girls would be into him. His looks alone would have most girls head over heels for him. Despite his discomfort around the couple, him ordering my food and drinks, and being a bit overly chivalrous he is probably a nice guy.

Still, not the type of person for me. I don't find his looks appealing, I feel uncomfortable that he's uncomfortable around gay couples, and I don't like all that male domineering behavior of him ordering things for me and opening doors for me when I'd prefer to do it myself.

I start to pull my phone out and start to text Ari to come and get me but Kyle sticks out his hand and places it on mine. He locks eyes with me, an earnest expression on his face.

The waitress passes by our table and I can't help letting my gaze drift back over to her. I tear my gaze away and glance back at Kyle.

"Listen, please just bear with me for the entire meal. If you don't like me after that, it's fine. Brent said you might be a bit opposed to going on a date, but could you please, at least, just give me a chance?" He begs.

I sigh and put my phone back in my pocket. I don't think anything else he does on this date is going to change how I feel when I'm more attracted to my waitress than my date.