Day 11

DAY 11

"I don't get how you think they're the cutest animals!" I protested.

"One - they're adorable. Two - they're always in tuxedos. Three - they're adorable," Jace listed.

"You said that already," I pointed out.

"It deserves to be said again," Jace said, crossing his arms. I sighed.

"Okay, but Jace, explain to me how penguins are cuter than hedgehogs," I said, crossing my own arms and arching an eyebrow.

Jace rolled his eyes. "I literally just said all the rea...sons..." he trailed off, staring over my shoulder. I turned around to see who he was looking at, but I couldn't spot any specific person in the sea of people crowding the food court.

"Jace?" I questioned. His eyes slowly moved away from whoever he was staring at and found my own again.

"Yeah...sorry...I just...saw someone I knew," he said slowly. "Hold on," he said, staring over my shoulder again. He brushed past me, and I frowned, my brow wrinkling in confusion.

Who was he staring at?

I turned around and watched as he made his way through the crowd of people. He approached a girl with blonde hair and ripped jeans slowly. She was frowning down at her phone and was tapping it angrily. Jace stuffed his hands in his pockets. I couldn't hear him, but I watched as he said her name. She turned around, her eyebrows drawing together in confusion for a second before her face glowed with a bright smile.

She went in for a hug and Jace happily accepted, drawing her into his arms where she seemed to rest comfortably. My hands curled into fists as I watched them hug for a bit longer than necessary. I huffed in annoyance and was about to turn away when I realized what was happening.

I was getting jealous.

I wasn't even dating Jace! We were just friends! Besides, it was still too soon after...him.

Then why was I getting annoyed he was hugging another girl?

I sighed and watched as she pulled back, still smiling. I noticed that her teeth were perfectly straight and white. In fact, everything about her was flawless. Her blonde hair shone gold, her skin was clear and unmarked, and her clothes looked expensive, from the Ray Bans perched on her well-styled hair, to her loose but still somehow form-fitting shirt, her methodically ripped jeans, all the way down to her floppy boots and her Michael Kors handbag.

I frowned as she and Jace began conversing. Jace seemed awkward and uncertain - the complete opposite of how he normally was.

I hated the effect she was having on him.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair to make sure that it wasn't a rat's nest before walking over to them.

"I'm only in the city for a little while," she explained. "After this week, I'm going back to LA for another shoot, then to London to do some runway. After that, I'll be working on a new movie."

"Well congrats. I know how much you wanted to do this," Jace said.

If possible, her smile stretched even wider. "I know! I'm practically living the dream!" She gushed. I rolled my eyes and went to stand by Jace. He didn't notice at first, and I rolled my eyes, tapping him lightly on the arm.

"Hey," I said. "Remember me?"

Jace almost jumped, then looked at me guiltily. "Sorry about that Rach. I saw Sadie and I had to say hi."

Suddenly, everything made sense.

I looked her up and down, my eyes narrowing. She smiled at me, and my gut twisted. "So this is Sadie," I said.