Day 40

DAY 40

"Kate!" I exclaimed, hugging her tightly.

"Hi, Rachel!" She practically shouted in my ear. I winced a little, but my smile didn't fade.

"It's so nice to see you! Can I help you with your luggage?" I asked, wanting to be helpful.

"I just have the one bag, luckily. I'll only be here for a few days while auditions are being held, then I fly back to California," Kate explained.

Kate was my only other friend from my childhood. She and I had met in third grade, and had remained close ever since. Besides Alex, she had been the one on whom I had relied for advice and support of any kind. Unfortunately, we had gone to different high schools when her dad was relocated for his work, but we had been able to maintain our friendship, and had taken advantage of every opportunity we had to see each other.

She was an acting major as well. We had both grown up believing the other was destined to be a star. Ironically, though she attended college in Southern California, and I in New York City, she was primarily interested in stage performances, while I was more taken with film. We were each other's complements, and I have always been eternally grateful to have her in my life.

"Rachel?" Kate was looking at me, laughter in her eyes.

"Sorry. Did you ask me something?"

"Yes. I was wondering when I'll be able to meet that cute guy friend of yours that you have refused to tell me anything about," Kate reiterated.

"Oh! Well...when are you free?" I asked.

"I'm free all this afternoon, actually. I can't check in at my hotel for another couple hours," she said.

"Alright," I said slowly, taking her bag from her and walking through the sliding doors and out to the curb. "We can go back to my place for a bit. I can fix you some food if you're hungry, and then we can meet Jace for coffee."

"His name is Jace? Why am I only learning this now?" Kate demanded, laughing.

"Because it's not that big a deal!" I said, stepping out off of the curb to flag down a taxi. Luckily, there were more taxis than clamoring New Yorkers, and I managed to attract the attention of one.

"Not that big...Rachel, you've been screaming 'Viva La Boy Boycott' since your heart was broken last time! Then suddenly, this boy, whom I am assuming is shockingly handsome, saunters into your life, woos you with his puppy dog eyes and Boston accent, and you don't even tell me his name?"

"It's not Boston."

"What?"

"His accent. It's Australian," I explained, giving Kate's bag to the cabbie who had jumped out, and pulling the door open for her to climb in. I clambered in behind her and shut the door. Our driver got in a few moments later and sped away from the curb.

"Where to?" He asked. I gave him the address and he nodded, merging a lane over and peeling away from the airport as quickly as traffic would allow. 

"Australian, eh?" Kate asked slyly.

"No, love, that's Canadian," I said, laughing briefly at my own joke.

Kate punched me. "That was stupid. But come on Rachel, how could you have failed to mention that? You know I'm a sucker for accents."

"And that," I muttered under my breath, "Is exactly the reason."

"What was that?" Kate asked.

"Nothing! Just remarking on the fact that we're nearly there. Traffic is never this light," I covered hastily.