The Ash Tree

The windy trail finally leads us to the forest edge. We stumble out of the mass of twisted undergrowth, exhausted and sore.

I gingerly stand, stretching my shoulders and taking a deep breath of fresh air. Rotten leaves and a collection of disgustingly squashed bugs cling to my clothes, and I begin flicking them off as Naoko stands beside me.

While I'm busy trying to rid myself of a particularly disgusting specimen she takes a step forward. Her loud gasp makes me finally look up.

The sight to greet my eyes is one of serene beauty. Low hills stretch before us like endless waves. Fields of golden wheat grass gently sway with the wind under a full moon.

A thousand stars glitter down from the midnight void above; sparkling as if to light our way only. They keep the land awash in eternal twilight, silent guardians keeping watch over their mystical dominion.

Snow-capped mountains sit majestically on the far horizon, their jagged outlines proudly reaching miles high.

An old ash tree sits atop the nearest hill not half a mile away. It's huge - at least twice as large as the tree under which Naoko and I first kissed. Long branches zigzag towards the heavens in every direction, painting a maddening pattern on the canvas of the sky.

Next to this fantasy landscape the real world seems an ugly blueprint, pale in comparison.

"Well, this isn't the way we came," I joke half-heartedly. Despite what lies before us, I try to hide the fear of everything behind us.

"We're lost," Naoko replies, her eyes wide in wonder, "but I can't imagine being anywhere else."

We make our way towards the old ash. Not only are we far too tired to run, but there is a feeling of sanctity in these fields. They rest in stark contrast to the brooding forest just behind us.

Naoko walks beside me holding my hand and walking slowly, as if to capture every step as a cherished memory.

"This is like earlier today," she says to me, "but even more perfect."

Gliding effortlessly through the soft wheat fields, we reach the large ash and sit to rest and take stock. Up close the ancient tree seems even more gigantic.

It soars over us, unbowed to the constant wind or ravages of time, offering shelter and protection. Naoko leans back against the wide trunk, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Look at all the stars," she says. In this moment of solace she has a brush out, and of all things, is fixing her hair.

"The darkness of night," she continues, "it makes their light that much brighter."

I am silent, cautiously eyeing the forest, expecting the shadows to burst out any second now. The serenity of this place seems to be having an effect on Naoko though, as if the chase never happened.

"Do you think things are nicer up there?" She turns to me and asks.

"I don't know," I respond thoughtfully.

She pauses a moment, before whispering half to herself, "I hope someone sees a little brightness in me one day."

Shocked that she would think there was anything but light shining from within her, I position myself closer to tell her exactly how I feel. As I open my mouth to speak, trying to form the right words, Minerva hoots and lands on a branch above us. The moment is gone.

Naoko jumps up.

"Are the others okay?" She bursts out, "I like them."

"I do not know, young one," Minerva replies, "I kept my eyes on you two alone."

"We have to help them," she says, "they helped us!"

"You are not ready," Minerva warns gently, "the party will be okay. With luck no-one is gravely harmed."

"I do hope so," Naoko says softly, frowning.

"What is this place?" I ask Minerva.

Naoko turns to look at me patiently. Minerva is silent, before letting a long call soothe the night.

"This is a place of imagination, young one," she begins, "humans rarely visit, but when they do, well, things.. change."

Naoko pouts, "so we weren't the first."

Minerva chuckles, "you are still very special, young one. You are the first to visit in many years."

"How do things change?" I ask her.

Both study me a moment, before Minerva heaves a heavy sigh.

"You humans are an emotional lot," she says, "so full of life, of conflict. Capable of so much beauty, yet so much ugliness."

Naoko nudges me slightly and jokes, "I just have a beautiful side though, don't I?"

I turn to look at her, my mischievous smile twisting one cheek. Alia leaps up from behind the trunk to stretch on her shoulder.

Minerva looks at us as an aged teacher might when being interrupted by a rowdy class, before continuing.

"Only those with the strongest of imaginations find their way here," she continues, "imaginations born of the brightest hope.. or the deepest pain."

A cold wind blows from the direction of the forest. For a moment I fear the shadows return, but just as it came it is gone again. Minerva watches the forest as she speaks, her trained eyes scanning it for any sign of trouble.

"And when you make your way here," Minerva finishes, "both sides of your imagination - the good and the bad - are made real."

"So that is why things change?" Naoko asks, "because of the changes our imagination brings?"

Minerva nods.

"What are the shadows?" I ask, "they have been chasing us everywhere we go!"

"You should not be facing them at your age. They should not be here," Minerva pauses, shaking her head and more than a little flustered, "things are all wrong this time. Children should be full of hopes and dreams, not -"

Our conversation is interrupted by a loud shriek, a warning from the forest. It reverberates across the golden fields. More than one leaf breaks off the old ash and flutters down around us.

Minerva's eyes go wide. Visibly shaken, her voice trembles, "peace.. he is here."

We turn to look back to the edge of the forest. Trees bend sickly towards us to herald the arrival of.. an ending. Deep within, an onyx figure appears; darker than a midnight lacking stars.

-----------------------------------------

Thank you very much for reading Tales of the Realm. If you like it please follow, share and give the current chapter a vote. They all help very much and are greatly appreciated!

This is a work in progress, some chapters being an earlier draft than others; so whether you enjoy the current chapter or not, all your thoughts and feedback help me so much to improve both my style and the story. So I hope to hear from you. Ty again! :-)