Chapter Fifteen

Ginny groaned and clutched her stomach.

"What? What's wrong? Are you okay?" Harry asked, immediately at her side. Ginny just rolled her eyes and placed a hand on her stomach, rubbing small circles on the rounded surface.

"I'm fine. He- or she- is kicking super hard. I've mostly enjoyed being pregnant, but I'm just ready to have this baby already."

Almost as if the baby heard her, the kicking stopped. Ginny lifted her head from the pillow she was resting on, and glanced at her belly.

"Thank you," she said, laying back on the pillow. She grunted as the baby let out one more big kick before going still again.

"Ooh, that was a good one, I could see it!" Harry said, placing his hand on her belly. The goofy grin on his face fell when he saw the very non-amused look his wife wore.

"I mean, oof, Ginny. Are you okay? That one looked like it hurt."

"You're such a big git."

"Love you too," Harry winked, making Ginny roll her eyes and sigh. Harry flopped down dramatically at the foot of the bed, sighing.

"What?" Ginny asked, raising her eyebrows in mock-annoyance.

"I'm bored. C'mon Gin. I just got home, we gotta go do something," Harry said, rolling to his stomach and propping himself up on his elbows.

"Harry," Ginny whined, "I don't want to go do anything. I'm tired, I'm fat, and my ankles are the size of grapefruits. Plus you've been home for two weeks now, it's not like you just got back."

"How about we go get ice cream?"

"Help me up." Harry laughed and got to his feet, walking around the side of the bed to heave his wife up.

"I'll be downstairs in a few minutes," Ginny said, waddling to the bathroom.

"Alright, I'll go get the keys and some money," Harry responded, walking out of the room.

Ginny was halfway to the bathroom when an unfamiliar sensation of pain rippled through her lower abdomen.

"That wasn't a kick," she whispered to herself. Another pain tore through her stomach, this time making her pause.

"Surely not. Calm down, I'm only 34 weeks along," she spoke softly to her stomach.

She continued to use the restroom with no more incidents, but it wasn't until she was at the sink washing her hands that she felt another, this one being the worst yet.

"Ah!" She exclaimed, clutching her belly. "Harry! Harry come here now!"

She heard a thundering up the stairs, and Harry came sprinting into the bathroom.

"Ginny! Ginny are you alright?!" He cried, an expression of concern on his face.

"Harry, I think I'm having contractions," she whispered. His eyes wandered down to her stomach and then back up to her face.

"No. You can't be. It's too early," Harry shook his head.

"Well," she grabbed her stomach in discomfort, "I think we need to get to St. Mungo's."

Suddenly, she was off her feet. Harry had picked her up bridal style like she was a feather. He carried her down the stairs and to the fireplace.

"St. Mungo's Maternity Ward," he called, throwing a handful of Floo Powder into the flames the best he could while carrying Ginny.

"Harry, I'm fine, please put me down," she said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Please put me down, I'm uncomfortable."

He gently placed her on the floor, her stocking-clad feet slipping slightly on the hard wood floors. Harry gripped her waist tightly to steady her.

"Harry. I'm fine," she gave her husband a serious but reassuring look, then walked through the flames into the waiting room of the wizarding hospital.

Harry came after her immediately, a rushed to the desk, giving their names and giving a brief explanation of what was happening.

"Alright, well come on back. Healer Patil will be with you in a few moments," a medi-witch behind the counter told them calmly, giving Ginny a reassuring smile. She walked out from behind the counter and held the double doors open for them, summoning a wheel chair for Ginny.

As soon as she sat down, Ginny had another contraction. She gritted her teeth and wrinkled her nose, trying to hide her discomfort from Harry, who would just panic more.

The enchanted wheelchair followed the medi-witch as she walked down the hall and took a turn into a private exam room, where Harry helped Ginny on to the bed.

"Change into this gown, and I'll send Healer Patil in," she handed Ginny a hospital gown, before placing a gentle hand on Ginny's shoulder for a brief moment, then walking out of the room.

As Ginny was changing, Harry ran a hand through his hair, pulling up at the tips like he always did when he was nervous.

There was a knock on the door, and then Padma appeared.

"Hi," Padma exclaimed, walking through the doors. "How are you?"

"I'd be better if it weren't for these damn contractions," Ginny hissed.

"Don't mind her, she's a little grumpy. How are you Padma? I haven't seen you in years!"

"Oh yeah! Don't mind me! Just having a baby over here, but you two just continue catching up, yup that's great!" Ginny growled.

"Let's see what's going on. Harry, stand over there," Padma motioned to the other side of Ginny's body, out of view of what she was about to do. Harry didn't have to be told twice.

Padma was quiet for a moment, and Harry reached for Ginny's hand, giving it a light squeeze of reassurance.

"Well Ginny, I have good news," Padma said, looking up at the couple, lowering Ginny's gown. "You're not in labour yet. The baby's going to stay in there and cook a bit longer."

"Then what was I feeling? They felt like what people say contractions feel like."

"Those were called Braxton Hicks. They're like the body's way of preparing for actual labour. They're completely normal for women during their third trimester."

"How are we going to be able to tell the difference between actual contractions and these... Braxton Hicks?" Harry asked, rubbing Ginny's shoulders.

"Well, Braxton Hicks are described as being more like menstrual cramps. You won't be in as much pain as much as just discomfort. Real contractions will hurt worse, and will grow closer together. Braxton Hicks are random, but don't get closer together. Also, with real contractions, as they get close enough together, your water will break. Braxton Hicks don't do that."

"Alright. So this was just a false alarm?" Ginny asked, her cheeks turning pink with embarrassment.

"Yeah. But don't worry. It's very common for first time mothers to be worried and come in. I'm glad you did- some women just pass off real contractions as false labour," Padma gave Harry and Ginny a smile.

"We will have to get reacquainted soon, but for now, you two are good to go!"

"Thanks Padma," Harry and Ginny said in unison. As soon as the door shut, Ginny and Harry both sighed.

"Well, I guess we go home," Harry said first.

"Um, excuse me. I believe I was promised ice cream?" Ginny reminded him, changing back into her clothes.

Harry laughed. "You're right. Now get dressed dork. I've got some mint chip ice cream calling my name at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour."