Chapter 9 - A Day with Rafael

When Rafael saw me, he looked surprised. "You're wearing that?" He asked me. I looked down at my jeans, white sneakers, and grey crewneck sweatshirt.
"Yes?" I asked. "Is there something wrong with it?" I looked for a stain or a tear.
"No, it's just. Well for one that's my sweatshirt." He said. My eyes widened.
"Oh no! I'm so sorry. I can take it off!" I started to pull it off when I felt a hand come to my top one and tug it back down.
"Lena?" He said quietly.
"Yes?" I asked.
"You aren't wearing anything under that."
"Oh." I said. "So I just flashed you?"
"Yup." He said.
"Well. Do you still want it back now?"
"As much as I love seeing you topless, no I think it's best if you keep it on."
"Sorry about that, it was in the guest room dresser so I thought-"
"Don't worry about it Lena, it looks better on you. Apparently it also looks better off you too." He smirked. I laughed.
"Sorry about that."
"No apologies necessary." He said, looking me right in the eye. He had to look down and I had to look up to make eye contact. Which was, well it was really hot, I'm not gonna lie.
"So. What are we doing?" I asked.
"Thought I'd take you to see some sights around here. Barcelona is a beautiful city." Oh. I totally thought he was going to grill me.
"Oh cool! I've always wanted to see everything. Especially La Sagrada Familia! Gaudi was a genius. It's too bad he died like that, in the city that loved him!" Rafael blinked.
"Yeah, okay then. Let's go."
We arrived at the church fairly soon after, and the second I got inside, I was floored. It was the most beautiful place I'd ever been.
"Wow. I can't. I'm speechless." I whispered. Rafael put his hand on the small of my back, just barely brushing my auburn hair.
"Makes you believe in a higher power, no?" He asked.
"Oh definitely. The way he's used nature here to capture the ethereal. It's magnificent. It's like he's created a rainforest here just for us. Like he's trying to tell us we creatures are all the same. Truly remarkable. It's so sad he didn't get to see it finished before he died."
We strolled through the inside some more. So far no one had recognized us.
"Would you like to go up?" He asked.
"Oh yes! I've heard the view is phenomenal." I've gotten so used to speaking and hearing Spanish as Lena now that I'm not even phased by it anymore.
We take the elevator up and arrive at the most magnificent view of the city. Barcelona sprawls, with tans and red browns everywhere.
"So, now that we're alone, do you want to tell me what's going on?" Rafael asked. Darn, I knew I wasn't going to get off that easy.
"I can't." I said.
"So you admit you're lying about something? Are you who you say your are?" He grilled. The magic provided the answer for me.
"My name is Lena Ferreira." It came out sounding robotic.
"Now?" He asked. I nodded.
"Now." I said.
"And what was your name three days ago?"
"I can't tell you that." I whispered. "Am I really that different? I hit my head, you know. At rehearsal Monday?" He rolled his eyes.
"Do I look like I was born yesterday? Lena before  was horrible. Nothing in her head, nothing nice to say about anyone. Nothing but an easy fuck, Alejandro's words, not mine. So tell me that you're that same person. That you're all those things?" I shook my head.
"That's not who I am. But my name is Lena Ferreira."
"Hmm. So you really aren't going to tell me?"
"No. I- even if I could, you wouldn't believe me." I looked him right in the eye.
"I think I would. Tell me one thing. Is it forever? Whatever it is?" He asked.
"Yes. I will always be Lena Ferreira." I whispered. I can't believe I was allowed to say that. But the idea was somewhat sad.
"Well, good." Rafael smiled, "because I like you much better now, Lena Ferreira."
"Do you think Alejandro... knows?" I asked.
"No. And I don't think he really cares either."
"Oh." I looked down and blushed.
"Not because of you. It's just. Alejandro doesn't hang around girls much. He doesn't notice these things."
"Oh." I paused. "And you do?" I asked.
"I do hang around a lot of girls." He smirked.
"Mr. Bad boy of soccer." I smiled.
"Something like that."
"So you earned the title then?" I asked. He put his hands in the air in surrender.
"I'm not denying it."
"What does your sister think about all that?" I asked him.
"Oh she thinks it's absolutely disgusting. Her 'gross ugly brother' should not be getting so much attention, or so I've been told." I laughed.
"I really like her. She's great."
"Yeah, well. She's a little brat, but she's my little brat."
"Are your parents nice?" I asked him.
"Best in the world." He replied with no hesitation. This conversation was making me miss my own family, a family I would never see again, so I turned around and started to head down the very windy stairs.
I turned around and almost fell to my death the stairs were so steep, but Rafael was fast. One of the fastest people in the world, in fact, and he caught me by the waist."
"Thanks." I breathed.
"No problem." He whispered.
"But also thanks for everything today. I'm so excited I got to come here. It's everything I always dreamed it would be."
"Well come on then," he said, still holding onto my waist, "we still have a lot more to go."