Switched

My head whirled as it mingled with several confounding thoughts. I was petrified and worried about what may happen. I followed the group of students over to small wooden huts with some dark brown roofs. On one of them an orange sign read KOALAS that hung off a crooked hook.

"This is our groups area. The Koalas, yes, that's right, we are the koalas group," Miss cherry declared, her short brown hair swaying as the peaceful breeze brushed it. We clambered up the wonky steps to a brown door.

Miss Cherry fished for a key in her black purse and stuck it into the small lock. It clicked open and we went inside. The room smelt like soil. In the centre was a small table with papers and pencils. Along the sides of the cream walls were grey sofas and low armchairs that were really short and baggy. The floor was made with stone and had small cracks in between.

The opposite end of the room led onto three passageways. We all followed Miss Cherry over to the right one and found ourselves facing the same brown door as the entrance. As she opened it, we found four bunk beds on either side of the room. In the middle of the room was a cupboard with a stained mirror.

"This will be the girls room," she said softly.

We quickly put our bags near the beds and came outside, moving over to the left passageway. She opened the door and the same four bunk beds stood in front of us. "And this, my kids, is the boys room."

The boys chucked their bags inside the same small cupboard as we headed off to the middle passage. Inside the room was a bed with a peach blanket placed on top. A beside table with an old, rusty lamp shade was beside it. On the side was the same wardrobe, although it had a slightly bigger mirror.

"Finally, this shall be my room. Right, let's go back outside and into the common room."

We followed her back outside and sat on one of the couches. I went and sat next to Lucas, who seemed to be in a good mood. 

"Hey, Lucas, listen....,"

I was interrupted by a sound coming closer and closer. I looked toward the door as the steps thudded. I shuddered as the door flung open, and the angry face of Mr Fillet came barging inside. He held the papers irritably, his eyes glittering malevolently around the classroom.

My stomach lurched when he stopped dead on me. Mr Fillet always accused me and he seemed to have this small hatred within me. He glanced around and briskly stared somewhere else. I stared at Lucas, he was still quite happy. I didn't think he had realized what Mr Fillet was holding tightly in his hand.

"These papers, I found them on the seat of the bus. They were on the furthest seat of the bus," he said coldly. For a split second, I remembered that I was sitting in the centre of the bus and not the end. I pictured where everyone was sitting and realized that Megan and her friends were at the back.

"Megan Lanes, stand up please," he demanded. Everyone watched nervously as Megan slowly got up, pulling her peach coloured dress down and straightening her dark green scarf.

"Follow me right now," he hissed as he trailed outside and slammed the door shut. Once he had left, everyone started talking and doing their own thing. "What was that all about, the papers were mine, how on earth did she get into trouble," I whispered with curiosity. 

"I wanted to take revenge because she broke my teddy. I asked the teacher, if I could go back into the bus and take something that I had forgotten. I quickly wrote the words on those papers down in my white notebook and placed those papers on Megan's seat," he told quietly, looking pleased with himself.

"I can't believe it, we survived a whole lecture. You are just incredible for remembering those pages, or else honestly, I would have turned into a burnt piece of chicken. In around an hour or so, Megan foolishly came back inside and was isolated for almost the rest of the day. At around 4:00 pm we all headed over to a large hall that was in between the small huts.

Four long wooden tables were placed in the centre of the room. In school I had always sat at the furthest round table, but this time the table for the Koalas group was up at the front. I sat down and stared at the afternoon tea placed in front of me. There was cheese, bread, fruits bowls, biscuits with flavoured filling and juice. I was pleased with the food and took a handful of each thing.

As we began to eat, Mr Long came at the front of the room, which was practically empty. "All students, please listen up. We will be going for a trek right now over a large hill, to see creatures and how they live as well as the lovely sunset. We will  be going by bus to the hill and then trekking up it. Please be prepared with your belongings and you will be provided tents to hold six people. There are sleeping bags in your huts and you are recommended to wear warm clothes. Our first night will be spent there but we will be sleeping in our huts on the second night," he told.

We all ate up quickly and by 4:20 pm we were on the rocky road. I had my bag over my back and my sleeping bag dangled off my shoulder by a black woollen string. 

We all gazed at the dark green hill in the distance as we climbed back onto the bus. We all sat in the same seats as before and watched the rolling hills get bigger and bigger. The bus sped on, in several directions, the destination coming closer. I remembered the pages and how I had forgotten them.

I slyly turned around in my seat and shot my eyes to Megan, who had her hands on her head, as she gazed down into her lap. I gave a wide smirk and thought that she deserved it and quickly looked away.