The Will

"The last will and testament of Miss Marielle Tims".  The director read the first few lines of her will. Being dead must be better than sitting through this. Its not like she left anything for me. I don't even know how I let mom drag me here.

Ever since dad left 7 years ago, mom brings me to every thing. She says she doesn't want me to be alone when I could be forming relationships with my family. Mom seemed pretty upset when  she heard aunt Marielle kicked the bucket. I didn't know her that well so I'm not as broken up as some.

Mom sat on my right.  My 7 older cousins sat on my left, along with some aunts and uncles. A couple of Marielle's old friends were there too.  It was a pretty small crowd of people considering how big my Dad's side is.

  21 cousins.  They're still in Belgium  through. Mom is from America. Dad is from Belgium. After he left,  she couldn't stand to be in the country anymore. So we moved to America. I was only 6 when we left.  We send letters all the time,  and this summer we might go visit them.

I was screaming internally when the director read the next line of the will. "Finally, my dearest Elizabeth Charlotte." Everyone turned to look at me and I snapped up to attention. She HAD left something for me?

"On your cousin's 13th birthdays, I had given each of them a special gift. A  knew I wouldn't be around to give you yours,  so I have written this for you."

The director handed me a classic brown envelope with a bulge in The middle. It had my name written in calligraphy on the back. Why would Aunt Marielle give me a gift?

On the drive home, I clutched The envelope. I still had no idea why she got me a present. "So... " mom Began, "Whats in the envelope? " she gave me a curious look.  "I dont know". 

We got home and I placed the envelope on my dresser, and gave it a glance.