01- Holly

I close the door behind me and check my wristwatch. It reads ten in the evening. A small, yet tired smile crept up my face as I lean against the door, closing my eyes.

"What's up with you?" Jasmine, my co-worker, asks.

"It's the last day of my rotation." I whisper, suddenly feeling like I was abandoning something special. I am. After working my way to get this far, to fighting to get into this hospital- and not yet even for residency, I spent two years in here and now I'm finally done with my last day of rotation. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Jasmine's eyes widen a bit. "Right." She exhales and I can see that she's disappointed. "We loved having you here, Claire. I hope you learned a lot from us."

I smile at her. "Actually, I applied for my residency here. I haven't gotten any response yet, but I hope I do soon enough."

"Well I'll make sure your letter gets on top of Mr. Gould's desk." Jasmine says with a laugh. "I too really hope you can get your response letter soon. I'll miss working with you."

"Likewise." I say and hug her. Jasmine has been one of the best people I've worked with. And has become a great friend and mentor. She's a few years older than me, and she's finishing her residency next year. She too loves it here, hence that's why she's coming back when her residency is over.

Someone calls for her and she leaves the room, and I start packing up my things. I take my bag and leave the room. I look around the white hallways and can't help myself to smile.

My last day of rotation is done, and I'm finally graduating. There's still my residency, I know, but it feels so good to be graduating already.

I make my way down the elevator and I can hear my stomach grumbling, I didn't eat dinner. I had to skip it because I had to assist in an emergency operation and now my stomach's telling me to eat. Where there's a hospital, there's always a nearby twenty four hour diner nearby and I don't think twice about stopping by.

The diner's door chimes make a sound when I open it, and I walk to the counter straight away, with my to-go order ready in my mind. The waitress takes it and I take a seat on one of the bar stools and wait for my order. I take my phone out of my bag and dial my neighbour's landline number. It rings three times.

"Hello?"

"Hey there."

"Oh, hello Claire."

"I just finished, and I'm just waiting for my order, it's to- go. " I say. "I'll be there in about half an hour. How is she?"

"She's asleep." He breathes out. "She tried to stay up as long as she could, she wanted to be awake when you arrive."

I can feel my heart break. "It's my last day of rotation today." I say, yet again, obviously ecstatic about it. "I can finally spend some time with her."

"Congratulations Claire." He says and I can hear the smile in his voice. "That's good to hear. I bet she'll be happy to know that."

We say our goodbyes and not soon after, my phone rings again. I look at the screen just as I get my late night dinner inside a brown paper bag handed to me by the waitress. I mouth her a thank you as I slide to answer the call.

It's my father, and he's over a thousand miles away. I'm cautious when I answer, because he never calls me at this time, late at night, unless it's really important and I don't know what to expect on what he's going to tell me because I've learned to dislike surprises.

"Dad?" I ask slowly to my phone.

I can hear him breathe deeply, and he lets it out. "Is this Claire Williams?"