06- Scotch and Pinot

Eight years ago

Alec and I have been hanging out a lot during our free time. Although I have gotten used to having zero friends since day one in school, it's great to actually have one.

We were inside the diner where I worked at, and we were already closed. We were just finishing up cleaning the counter.

"Your boyfriend's asleep in booth 2." Mary said to me as she walked by. "He seems like a really nice guy."

"Alec's not my boyfriend." I muttered.

"Yet." Mrs. Sarmiento added to my statement. "Do you honestly expect us to believe that you two don't like each other? He's always with you, even when you're working he just stays quietly in a corner."

I looked at Alec who was sleeping soundly at the said booth. He had his arms crossed over each other with his head against his forearms.

"You should wake the boy up. We'll be locking the doors in a bit."

I placed the broom that I was holding inside the broom closet and hung it on the wall before grabbing my stuff from underneath the counter. I walked towards Alec and gave him a light nudge on the shoulder.

"Wake up." I said to him gently. "We're locking the doors, so unless you want to try to stay inside a diner overnight to cross something off your bucket list, you might want to wake up."

"It's closing time already?" he woke up with a yawn. "I swear you just started your shift."

"C'mon, get up." I said as I reached for his arm to help him up. "You're exhausted today, aren't you?"

"I just like to sleep." he grinned and shook his head. "Let's before Mrs. Sarmiento really decides to lock us both inside."

The cold wind greeted us when we stepped outside the diner. It's already late November, so the cold temperatures were to be expected. Mary and Mrs. Sarmiento bid us goodbye as they went to their husbands who just arrived to pick them up.

"I finally don't need to wake up so early next week." I stretched my arms with a grin on my face. It was Thanksgiving break so generally, I was very much ecstatic about it.

"What do you plan to do during the break?" Alec asked me as he unlocked his truck.

I shrugged. "I don't know, maybe catch up on some reading, finish my college applications, try planting, get more sleep."

Visit my dad in jail.

Alec doesn't know about that, or maybe he does, I'm not quite sure but I never brought it up. I always visit my dad Saturday mornings, which perfectly coincided with Alec's flying lessons so hiding it from him was relatively easy.

"Well I won't be around." Alec said with a hint of disappointment lingering in his tone. "I'm heading up to my parents' by Tuesday. They don't live that far away though."

He started the car and pulled away from parking.

"I have an idea." His face lit up like a Christmas tree. "Why don't you come with me? I'm sure my parents won't mind. They always prepare way too many food, so even if I bring like ten people I'm sure they'll be okay with it. At least I won't be eating turkey or garlic sticks for the next few days. And we have a guestroom! Unless of course my cousin is flying over from London. But that won't be a bother. You can stay in my room, and I can just crash at the couch. What do you think? I'll call mom and let her know!"

"Whoa there, slow down!" I told him. He was talking so fast I could barely keep up.

Alec gave a sheepish grin. "Come with me, please?"