31. ARRIVAL OF MISERY

Mike was only left breathing to serve as a messenger, and the intended recipient was me. Inching toward his broken body, I was halted by Rayne's firm grasp. Jerking out of his hold, I moved cautiously; lowering to my knees beside Mike's unrecognisable form.

Blood splattered from his lips when he tried to form words, his voice was near absent. The cool air bit at my flesh, freezing the beads of sweat coating my skin. Lifting my trembling palms to cup his horrifically bruised face, I held my ear close to his busted lips. My senses flooded with the metallic scent of fresh blood; wafting with every shallow breath he took.

His tongue swam in his own blood and saliva making his words sound foreign; soon it became clear he was chanting the same thing, over and over again. I'm...always here... His guttural words rang in my ear, my skin turning icy as I recoiled.

Shaking, I released him as though he'd scolded me. My palms grazed against the dirty concrete, shuffling my body back hastily. Ignoring the sting I began to claw at my skin, sensing the ghost of his filthy touch all over me. Like a never ending roll of film he invaded my mind, violating me over and over again.

It couldn't be. He had disappeared along with his hunt and my torture. Despite having been living in the fear of his return, in some deep corner of my heart I had dared to hope, mistake, dared to rejoin society here, mistake; I'd even dared to want again, mistake.

"Skids, look at me." Rayne's firm voice slipped past the haze of fear consuming me. Fisting his collars I shook my head, hysteria taking control. Paling with the same fear I felt he gripped me harder, forcing me to see him; feel him. It was working, I was too far gone.

"He's here-he found me, R-Rayne he's always watching! He knows what I've done-I made him angry!" Wildly shooting looks in every dark corner of the alley, I pressed a hand over my heaving chest. "He can see me...no- please no!" I screamed cupping my ears.

Hauling me into chest, Rayne shielded me from view; ensuring he was all that I could see. "Rayne...don't let him take...please-I can't, I can't-" My throat felt roar, words unable to pass through the sobs clogging my airways. Pulling away enough to watch him, I fisted his shirt. "Don't let go..." I breathed, already feeling my nightmares becoming a reality once more.

Something behind his stone features shifted, shattering him with pain and anger alike. Blinding flashes of red and blue lit up the alleyway, a nightmarish mix of colour knocked the wind from me. History was repeating itself. Two large uniformed figures loomed over Rayne, clasping his arms they began to drag us apart. The darkness in Rayne's eyes tipped in favour of rage as my hold on him slipped. Falling forward, I braced myself up on palms and knees.

Crawling away from the lights, I hid in the loan shadow case by the large dumpsters shield. Holding my knees to my chest I shook violently, cold sweat drenching my skin as I rocked back and forth. Blurring into the backdrop of the chaos unfolding before me, I watched as Rayne's unshifting frame stood inches from me. A third officer joining the duo to move him. Joey's form pulled at one of the cops, instinct forcing him to protect his cousin.

Rayne's gaze remained fixed. Macy's grip caught my arms, jolting me back to reality. The muffled sounds hit me at full force. Surging off the floor I clung to Rayne's shirt. "No! You can't take him- you don't get to do this to me again!" Welling with tears, my sight blurred. Fear dissolving beneath my anger. "He didn't do this!" I screamed, dropping my forehead to his chest. "He didn't do this..." My voice shook, resolute only in my refusal to let them take him.

"You heard her, let him the fuck go!" Joey's strong voice spoke over mine. "Bring us that evidence shit y'all love so much and I'll walk his ass into a cell myself." Joey's statement had the officers relenting. Sliding my arms around Rayne, I remained pressed to his rigid form.