The First Night Part 1

FRIDAY MAY 10TH

"There is nothing there Jacob. Now let's go the group so we can eat."

I follow and keep my eyes on the lake. Nothing there. Just like she said. I knew there was something different about this place. And I knew something bad was going to happen. I just couldn't figure out what it was. Not yet at least.

I go into the eating hall. Big and spacious for a group like us. It smelled of food and I was starving. To bad the line was super long. But I was sort of glad to be at the end. So that way I could take my time. Sit and eat with friends, well Martina and acquaintances. But I was ok with that. The food was cheeseburgers and fries. Something simple from the ride. Suitable, nothing major. I was the last to get my plate. And felt the urge to sit with Thomas. Thomas was a band kid who wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He has autism. And a few other mental disorders. But that sure didn't stop him from participating in everything we could do. A lot of people thought he was crazy. But he wasn't, just misunderstood and I wanted to do the right thing and sit with him since he was alone. But I saw Martina and a few others and, decided to go sit with them. Then get them to come with me to sit with Thomas.

"Hey guys," as I take my seat, "I think we-"

"We were going to sit with Thomas if you weren't coming," said Martina.

The same thought. Wow. This was just getting magical.

"I was thinking the same thing actually." I said to everyone.

By the time I uttered those single words I hear shuffling behind me. The chaperones were sitting with him.

"Oh...well I guess we can all just eat here now." I said in shock.

They all nodded and agreed. So we continued to talk and eat. Mostly in silence until I look out the doors. The glass doors which has a whole view of the lake. I the dark shadowy man again. But this time he turns around. I don't see his face but, I do see his dark eyes. He grins and flashes away.

I begin to choke violently. And Martina starts hitting my back in a panic.

"Jacob! Jacob are you ok? What happned?" She says.

"I don't know. I was drinking my tea and I just began to choke after seeing...," I trailed off. She already knew what I was about to say.

"Jacob listen. There is no one there ok? Please. I don't want you paranoid this entire trip ok?" Martina says with her hand on my shoulder.

I smile and nod my head because I was speechless. And finished my food.

The food we didn't eat went into the slop bucket for the pigs. And the plate goes in the trash obviously. After we ate we were able to roam around the lake and see the animals.

It only occurred to me once that I need to text my parents and tell them that I made it here. I pulled out my cell phone and it said "NO SIGNAL" I thought to myself "Great. Now what am I supposed to do when I'm trying to go to sleep with those jerks?" But that was a "wait-til-I-get-there" type of problem. Now I was focused on how in the world I was going to get close to Martina.

Martina and I left the food hall together and went out through the front porch where they had rocking chairs perfect enough to just sit back and relax. We keep walking when we come across three pigs.

"That's my pig! I named him. His name is Wilbur. You know from Charlotte's Web?" Martina said.

"You have been here before?" I asked.

"All the time. It's nothing really good about this place. It's nothing but nature. You could sneak off without even being noticed out here. I don't see why everyone loves it here." Martina said

" I guess because its so secluded."

I said.

"Yeah. I guess so. Hey! Look over there! Cmon lets go! This is where I collect my thoughts and just need some alone time."

Martina dragged me in between the two ponds. One was for regular fish. One was for catfish. We went to this dock. It was where you could fish for the regular fish. There were knats and, spider webs everywhere. But once I cleared through all of it, I found myself on a pond,alone with Martina, looking at one of the most beautiful sunsets ever.

Quietness as we looked out onto the pond. Until Martina began to speak.

"Cmon! Lets go on this. You can detach the rope and drift onto the pond. Help me get down."

I helped her onto the mini detachable dock. And I got on as well. I looked at Martina in complete awe. The rays of the setting sun was hitting her face perfectly. She smiled at me and stepped towards me. I wanted to stay here forever with her. Alone on a dock on a lake looking at the sunset. We made eye contact and her eyes began to sparkle. I started to get closer to her face and then I-

"Cmon kids!! Let's get to the maze before its to dark!" It was Ms. King. She was on her four wheeler riding past us across the lake. Even out here she still had the same ironic booming voice.

" We ought to get going huh?" I said of embarrassment of what almost happened."

"Yea. I guess so...can you help me back up?" She said in a coy voice as she batted her eyes.

I helped her up and we walked back to the food hall.

We didn't talk at all on the way back. But while we walked I did here snickers and low hums of gossip about if Martina and I were dating. I liked it but, was thinking the whole time.

"Why didn't I kiss her? She was RIGHT THERE! I blew it again...or...wait a minute. She did say people could sneak out and not be noticed for awhile. I could just lure her out tonight while everyone is asleep! That way we would be all alone under the stars! It would be perfect! Now...I'm back to the same problem I was before. How in the hell am I supposed to get her alone? Boy this trip was supposed to make us as a band get closer. But the only thing I want to be close to all night is Martina. And not some sweaty,beefy,arrogant jerks. This trip is going to be amazing! Finally something good in my life!"

It was not until later that night, I was about to find out just how horrid my life could get.