Chapter 13: Voyage

Eva and her children sat in a ring around Leif, joined by Zoltána, Qasikay and the bounty hunters. Against the fickle glow of the lamp, Leif's handsome canine face looked almost menacing, while his deep, syrupy voice echoed through the cavernous cargo bay as he weaved a ghost story of betrayal and possession.

The younger children hid behind Jordaki, listening raptly. Eva trembled like she had not since the day she broke her leg. Astrapi squeezed Caldus' knee, anxious and secretly thrilling in it. Qasikay and Zoltána sat side by side, interested but not frightened.

Mid-sentence, Leif stopped. He turned his ears up to the stairway.

"Do you hear something?" he asked.

His listeners all gave him strange looks.

"Forget about the ghost for a moment," he said. "I hear horses."

"I'm going to go and check it out," said Astrapi, getting up.

With that, he left the rest in awkward silence.

"We should hide," said Eva.

"Quick!" said Jordaki, "Into the crates!"

Without hesitation, each remaining member of the party located one of the dilapidated crate husks scattered about the cargo bay and hurried towards them. Qasikay took to a crate in the far corner, while Eva found one opposite hers and dove in, beckoning to her children. Not seeing her, four of the young ones piled into one frail wooden box, bowing out its walls. Meanwhile, Leif curled into a large crate, and Zoltána did the same, carrying the oil lamp with her. Caldus stood next to a sturdy-looking one by the wall and waited for her partner.

"What do I do?" cried Bálász, the last child uncovered.

"There's room in here," said Leif. "Hop in."

Quickly, Bálász climbed on and snuggled in as tightly as he could manage. Leif reached to the ground, picked up the crate's half-burnt lid, and fit it on above them, shutting them in darkness.

"What's going to happen?" asked Bálász.

"It could be that there's nobody there," said Leif. "If it's clear, we can come back out right away. If it's not, and someone's coming, we'll have to hide in here for a bit longer. If they spot us, we might have to fight. Don't worry; we'll be alright either way."

Before the child could add anything, Astrapi's footsteps came rattling down the stairs.

"It's time, everyone!" he yelled, breaking the silence. "I saw a half-dozen wagons, brim-full, and they're heading... Caldus, where is everyone?"

"In the crates," said Caldus. "There's an empty one here."

"Well then, come on!"

Astrapi grabbed Caldus and leapt into the box with her, slamming the lid shut above them. With that, the whole cargo bay fell completely silent. Not even the children made a sound.

Inside their crate, Caldus shuffled uncomfortably.

"This position is... strange," she said, blushing.

"I don't mind it," said Astrapi.

"You're not the one with her kneecaps in her nose. Scoot back, please."

"This is as far as I can go, baby."

"Don't call me that."

"Oh."

There was a pause.

"I know this is a bad time," said Caldus, "but, lately you've been..."

"Distractingly gorgeous?"