Growing Up

Jonathan was hiding under his bed. He was scared; afraid he might be found. "Come out, come out where ever you are~!" Sang a voice.  He covered his mouth to stifle any sounds. He saw footsteps right beside his head-then disappearing.

"Found you!"

Cookie shouted, her head dangling off his bed.  Jonathan let out a scream and skirted out of his bed running around his room. The girl floated after Jonathan, catching him, then tickling the toddler.

"Hahaha! S-Stop! That t-tickles Cookie!" Jonathan squealed at his unique friend. She joined in on his laughter.

"Jonny! What's going on?" Jonathan's mother peered into the boy's room.

"Nothing mom, just having fun with my friend!" He responded.

The mother looked around,"Jonny, there's no one here." She said with a puzzled face.

Jonathan seemed offended,"But mom-she's right there!" He pointed to Cookie floating atop his bed with her legs crossed. Cookie glanced towards the mother.

The mom held a blank expression, before cracking a light mix of a smirk and smile. "Ah, I see. Ok then Jonny, continue your fun with this friend." She said upon realization that this friend he speaks of is an imaginary friend. She closes the door and walks down the hallway continuing her daily chores as a mother.

Jonathan looks over to Cookie before hopping on the bed. "Sorry about that Cookie. I think my mom might be going blind." He chuckled.

"No, it's ok Jonny!" She giggled looking down at Jonathan.

"Cookie."

"Yep?"

"We are going to be best friends forever...right?"

"Of course! We will never forget each other, even when you are all grown up, ok! Promise?" Cookie stated holding out her pinkie finger

He looked up at her with a bright smile, intertwining his little pinkie  with hers.

"Promise."
___________

"Ugh! I can never get passed this damn level! It's too hard!" Jonathan shouted at the television screen.

"Hey, calm down there Jonny." Cookie said trying to calm her best friend down.

"Whatever you say, Cookie." Jonathan huffs with a pouty face. He stood up from his gaming console which he had received for his 11th birthday, giving a stretch.

"Take a break from that game dude! How about we go outside and play! We can play tag or hide and seek like old times! Ya?" Cookie beamed floating towards him.

"I'm too old for that Cookie. I just let me play this game, ok?" Jonathan waved his hand as if shooing his best friend away.

Cookie held a hurt face,"Oh...okay then"
________________

Jonathan stared at his phone screen with a goofy look. He received the phone from his parents after he became 15, quickly becoming addicted to the device. Cookie was curious as to what he is looking at and quickly floated over.

"What you looking at?" She asked veering over his shoulder.

Jonathan jumped, startled. Quickly covering his phone screen with a red face.

"It-It's nothing Cookie! Haven't you ever heard of personal space." He glared at Cookie annoyed. He got up from his slouched position from his bed and quickly put on a jacket, grabbing his house keys.

"I was just curious."

"Ok, well-I'm heading out. I won't be back for a while." Jonathan said walking over to the front door.

"Where are you going Jonny? We never get to spend time anymore!" Cookie exclaimed, pained by the lack of attention she has been receiving from her best friend.

"It's none of your business! I'm just gonna see this girl...Like I said: I'm too old for those kids games. So why don't you leave me alone for once!" He yelled out to Cookie before slamming the door.

Cookie hovered in the corner of Jonathan's room. She stared gloomily and jealous at the site before her. Lately Jonathan has been bringing over this girl since he turned 18, and it annoyed her that he was spending time with this person he never bothered to introduce-than with her.

Cookie was the one that was around his whole life! She was the one who absolutely cared for her best friend his entire life! Now it seems he's just sweeping it under the rug like it was never there.

The couple were flirtatiously talking to one another, watching a movie. Didn't even bother leaving some space on the bed so she could sit.

She began to drown in her own thoughts. Lately, whenever she would speak to Jonathan it would seem it was not heard, but only to be a silent voice. She even tried tickling him like she did back then, but it seemed like she was never there. Cookie felt a great sorrow within her finally realizing her situation.

Jonathan was growing up.

Which meant...

He was forgetting her.

The girl soon left after sharing a kiss with Jonathan. He used to show complete disgust whenever ever the word was mentioned. Now he is enjoying it with another woman.

Cookie soon floated in front of Jonathan. Her face full of tears as she looked in despair of her-....best friend.

Cookie stared at the room filled with boxes. She was in utter bewilderment as to what is happening. Jonathan's room is completely empty, nothing but boxes filled with his belongings littered the room.

She floated over to Jonathan carrying out a box to a car.

"JONNY! J-JONNY" She screeched at him holding onto his shoulders. But Jonathan was unaffected.

Jonathan continued to fill the car with the last of the boxes from his room. All the while Cookie desperately shouting his name over and over, only to befall onto deaf ears.

As the last box was loaded, Cookie looked solemnly at her best friend entering the car. She hovered outside the house, watching broken hearted as the car began to drive.

She lowered herself, touching the concrete. She watched as the vehicle began to disappear into the distance, pathetically frozen on her knees as tears fell down her face.

"You promised..." She whispered as she diminished into the air.