Chapter Seven: Entrance

I sat at the table, next to my father. He looked grim. I fidgeted, running my left index finger over a ripped nail that was crusting over with dried blood. It stung when I pushed on it, so I used the pain as a distraction. While I squeezed it, I let the icy tendrils of pain distract me from my father's conversation.

It didn't work. Their voices kept pushing into my head.

"But sir, I have a daughter. We need help. And my wife..." He winced, clenching his eyelids together. My breath caught in my throat, this was a different kind of pain than a ripped fingernail. 

"You have clearly seen the dark sides of the war, Sir. And that is exactly why we cannot let you join us." The middle councilman cleared his throat as my father tried to speak. "You are of no value to our citizens and we have no way of proving your loyalty."

"I was a soldier," my father muttered.

"Pardon?" The man leaned closer.

"I was a soldier. For the kingdom. But I took leave when the war began. I refused to fight for a ruthless king who murdered his own." My father raised his amber eyes to the council.

"But after your tragedy-" the councilman began.

"No matter. I'll do it. Anything for my daughter. For my family."

My father looked over took me and took my hand in his own, squeezing it softly. He would not back down until we were safe. 

"Very well," The councilman on the very end looked to the other men, all of them still. He glanced at me, then my father, and finally his mouth set into a hard line. One of his colleagues nodded and his eyes flicked to him. "It is settled then. Your training will start in one week. You will train for two months and then you will be sent onto the battle field. If at any time there is doubt of your loyalty, you will be imprisoned with no mercy. Is that clear?" My father nodded. "Good. You are responsible for all living arrangements but you will be staying with the other newcomers in James' Square tonight. In the morning they will explain how things are run around here." 

The men began to pack up their things and disperse. My father stood up, "Yes, Sir, of course." He moved to step towards the councilman, but the man had already started walking away.

"And your daughter," the man glanced down at me."What can she do?"

"She is too young for work. But when she is old enough, she'd make a fine healer."

"Good. I will see to it she is entered into the system." He twirled around, heading for the door.

When the door had closed and the room was empty, my father sank to the ground, pulling me close. I could feel his heartbeat through his thin shirt and I clung to him. "Thank you," he muttered into my hair, "thank you." I looked up at him and he smiled, it didn't reach his eyes. 

"Oh, Ellie," he whispered, pulling me to his chest. "Welcome home baby girl." We sat there for awhile, even after the lights had turned off. We stayed there until rays of sunlight began to streak the wooden floor beneath us and sleep beckoned us ever closer.

"C'mon," he whispered, my head lolling onto his chest. "Let's go find this James' Square. We can get a nice little sleep," he brushed the hair away that was falling into my eyes and cradled me in his arms. He stood, pulling me up and laying my head on his shoulder. My eyes fluttered closed as the stepped out of the little building into the warm dawn air. It smelled of honeysuckle and cherry blossoms, it smelled of home.