September 24, 1889, Midnight (Unedited)

Six hours later, Permilla stood just as frightened as a criminal on death row on his execution day. She stroked her hands down her grey shirt and black pair of pants, both articles of clothing made of cotton instead of silk. Permilla found that the field and silk material did not harmonize. The work required of a field agent was too messy and monster blood too hard to clean from silk. Huxley saw Permilla twitching and walked to stand by her. 

He lightly nudged Permilla in the side. In the time of their adventure, Permilla had grown rather fond of him. She smiled slightly at him. Permilla was determined to act natural. Before the team left for the cemetery again, Alexander pulls Permilla aside from the small group. He looks ecstatic and he shows Permilla a small vial with a light blue liquid inside. "Look closely Permilla, you are looking at the winning factor of tonight." He waves his hand under the vial like he was presenting the vial.

Permilla's face must of shown how unamused she was because Alexander heaved a sigh like he couldn't believe he had to explain more. He took Permilla's hands in his, patted her like she was a child and put the vial in her hand. "Take this. It's a new drug I've created." Permilla held the vial up to the light and the liquid became almost translucent. "What am I supposed to do with this?"

"If you find yourself close to the queen, throw the liquid onto her. It's supposed to dull her sense of smell and hearing as low as her sight. It should also make her skin weaker."

"Ok, so it should do this, but can it." Permilla emphasised the word can. Alexander's word choice worried Permilla along with his reputation for experimental drugs. She didn't want any unexpected side effects in her life any time soon.

"It's experimental. We won't know if we don't try."

"So if it doesn't work then what. Should I lay down and die?" Permilla slipped the drug into one of her pockets. She might as well take it.

Permilla removed herself from Alexander when her mother came downstairs and with that the field agents gathered in a small cart and headed for the house by the cemetery.

Instead of pulling up to the entrance, the carriage pulled up to the side of the gate. In the distance Permilla could barely see a house in the distance through the fog. The entire team climbed over the gate, making Permilla glad she had worn pants. Watching for pockets in the dirt, the group made their way to the house. For a wealthy family, it was considerably small. 

Rickety white steps led up to the small blue house. The door was set open and it swayed in the wind. Permilla didn't like the feeling she got from the house. Before going up Becca restated the plan. She, Cornelius and now two French agents would go into the house and look for the queen. Permilla, Huxley and two more French agents would stay downstairs and make sure that nobody outside the House of Diamonds would interfere. Permilla and Huxley knew they didn't have an actual role.

"Stay here. We will be back soon." With that Becca turned and helped Cornelius out of the wheelchair and up the steps. Two of the French agents followed, while two stayed behind. Permilla couldn't help but see them as babysitters. Your mother thinks you are that incompetent. Permilla stood next to Huxley and couldn't believe how insignificant her job was. They stood in silence for thirty minutes. Huxley sat against the wooden railing, cracking his fingers. Permilla leaned against the same railing.

It had been fifty minutes in total when the small group outside heard a sound other than an owl. Permilla and Huxley stood up fully as gunshots rang out in the house. Permilla knew that if the tunnel went down as far as Becca had believed, then she shouldn't have been able to hear gunshots. "I don't like this." Huxley mumbled as he began pacing. Huxley's instincts proved correct.

Glass exploded from the window upstairs. Huxley lunged at Permilla and covered her body as glass rained down. "What in the world-" Permilla started to question but she didn't have time to formulate an actual question. A large figure had jumped out the window and landed on the grass twenty feet in front of Permilla and Huxley. The Queen of the monosupials had just landed in front of them.

(*)

Hey! Thanks for reading once again!

Don't forget to VC&S

Vote!

Comment!

&

Share

~Jasmine