Chapter 8

The Sheriff showed up an hour and a half later flanked by his deputy and Jake. Bishop met him in the yard and nodded a good morning.

"Your brother told me what happened. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. So is everyone else. Only thing to get destroyed was the barn and everything in it."

"Did anyone see anything?"

"Shit Sheriff, the only thing we seen and heard was the horses screaming and the barn blazing," one of the hands offered. Slowly they gravitated toward the porch where the Sheriff finally dismounted followed by Jake.

"I'd like to take a look around the place if you don't mind. Bish," he gestured. The hands stayed with the deputy who seemed more than willing to listen to each rendition of the incident. Jake didn't follow but made his way onto the porch to be greeted by Millie. Their soft voices were drowned out by the men. It wasn't until they were almost in front of the smoking building that the Sheriff spoke.

"Jake shared with me your concerns. You suspect Spencer?"

Bishop nodded. "I got no enemies. It only makes sense he would try something this yellow bellied to force my hand."

The Sheriff grunted and nodded before exhaling a heavy sigh. "Look, although all roads lead to him, I can't accuse a man when I ain't got proof. Before I rode out here I had his story checked out. He and his lackeys spent the entire night at the brothel raising hell. He has an alibi."

Bishop folded his arms across his chest and gazed at the embers at his feet. The man was right. Unless there were witnesses or Spencer confessed, there was no way they could accuse him. He ran frustrated fingers through his hair.

"What do we do now then?" he finally asked. His lungs still hurt from inhaling all that smoke and it was still uncomfortable to talk.

"Keep your head low and stay vigilant. If Spencer is behind this, he'll get cocky – make a mistake. That's when we'll catch him."

Bishop nodded, knowing that what was said made sense. There was nothing that could be done by the law right now. He would wait and watch, and do his best to keep Leah safe.

"Any word from Carolina?"

The old man shook his head. "Not yet. Give it a couple of weeks. These things take time."

He squeezed his shoulder and made his way back to the small group that was now gathered in the front yard. In the porch, Jake, Millie and her mother looked to him with expectation. The only news he had was one of disappointment. He took his time in reaching them, tipping his hat in farewell as the lawmen rode away. The grumbles of the hands did not go un-noticed, but he said nothing as he joined the trio in the wooden porch.

"Well?" Millie spoke, her wide hazel eyes concerned. "Are they going to arrest him?"

Bishop shook his head stiffly. "A man's innocent until proven guilty and all that. We need proof."

"But we know he's behind this," she continued adamantly.

Jake huffed. "The law can't deal with him but I can. I'll take a few men and rough him up – make him confess."

Bishop cut him a cold glare. "You keep your temper leashed. Now is not the time for rash decisions. The Sheriff's right. There ain't nothing we can do. Maybe increase patrols, let the dogs run at night. They'll raise a ruckus if anyone strange comes around."

Millie shook her head. "I'm with Jake on this one Bish. While we wait, he can do anything. What if he hurts one of us?"

Bishop leaned against the railing and nodded, his intelligent eyes thoughtful. "I understand. It's no longer just about Leah. It can be anyone of us. I know you're scared – but I have to play this by the book. It's the only way I can keep myself out of a jail cell."