dos

( ALIEN )

( CHAPTER TWO )

 EVERYBODY CRIES 

THE GANG HAD MADE IT TO THE MARTINEZ'S HOUSE safely after the shooting, with Mario, Ruby's older brother and one of Keola's favorite costumers at La Libre, and his girlfriend Angelica arriving a few minutes later and everything seemed okay

THE GANG HAD MADE IT TO THE MARTINEZ'S HOUSE safely after the shooting, with Mario, Ruby's older brother and one of Keola's favorite costumers at La Libre, and his girlfriend Angelica arriving a few minutes later and everything seemed okay... except that as soon as they arrived, the couple got into a heated argument outside the house.

Keola and Monse were lying in the couch, an awkward silence between them, as the rest of the guys were spying on Mario and Angelica through the window, Keola had tried to convince them not to disrespect the couple's privacy but they had chosen to ignore her pleas.

She decided it was time to break the silence that filled the air while searching through her head for something she could use to start a conversation with Monse.

''So...'' she started with a nervous tone. ''¿have they told you when they're going to take your braces off?'' she mentally facepalmed at the dumb question.

''Um, in two months, I think. I already started the countdown.'' Monse answered with a small grin.

''God, I remember when they took mine off, I swear I didn't close my mouth for an entire week.'' 

The two girls laughed a little before looking at each other with a smile. 

''So, Jamal told me you're a writer, that's pretty cool.''

Monse's smile widens as a fair blush crossed her cheeks.

''Thanks, I'm actually supposed to go to a writing camp this summer, but I'm not so sure I should go.''

Keola scrunched her eyebrows at Monse's words, a what the hell passing through her mind.

''¿What? ¿Why?''

''I feel like it would be like throwing my summer away, just a waste of time.''

Keola moved her body so she could face Monse directly, and with soft eyes and a sweet tone, she said one of the things that Monse didn't know she needed to hear.

''Nothing that will help you improve in something that you love will ever be a waste of time. If writing is what you wanna do, go for it! You won't lose anything if you try, but you might lose a lot of opportunities if you don't.''

Monse chuckled softly as she quickly gazed at her lap before looking at Keola's brown eyes.

''I guess you're right.''

''Of course, I am!'' She exclaimed with a brilliant smile. ''Also, you have to show me some of your work before you leave!''

Suddenly turning a little shy again, she asked Monse if she would care to stop by the bakery soon so they could discuss her work. The afro-latina agreed ''as long as the brownies that Jamal won't shut up about are involved'', she said.