Treachery

Prologue

The man was breathing heavily, running through the dark night. The cold air bit him in the legs and arm.

But he still pushed himself to keep running, knowing that it was still following him. He turned a corner and ran down a dark alley, trying to find a hiding spot.

He ran, out of breath, all the way down the alley until he found three garbage cans to hide behind. He quickly squatted down. After a few seconds, he could hear flutters from the end of the alley. He tensed up, trying to get as small as he could.

He heard them coming closer and closer until they were right next to him. Just as he thought they didn’t see him, the garbage cans went flying, and the man jumped with fear. He was still crouched down on the floor as the creatures looked down upon him.

“Poor thing,” The girl grinned. “Trying to run away from us?” She looked at the boy next to her, and he chuckled. The man on the ground whimpered and tried to get as far away from the creatures as possible, but the only thing he accomplished was being pushed up against the wall.

“But you can’t run away from us,” She hissed. She finally landed on the ground and walked slowly towards the man. He was in his late thirties, early forties. He had shaggy brown hair that went below his eyebrows. He was wearing rags and looked as if he was living on the street.

“I could smell your fear from a mile away,” The girl smiled. She was right next to the man. Although she was small, the man knew not to underestimate her.

“W-What do you w-want?” the man stuttered from the cold and fear. “I-I’ll give you a-anything you want.” He man pulled the jacket tighter around him. The girl tilted her head and slowly crouched down until she was at eye level with him.

“What do I want?” She whispered, her voice dark and bitter. The man was still breathing heavily, knowing what was coming next.

“I want your soul,” She growled, her hand grabbing his neck. The man’s eyes went wide. The girl raised the man off the ground by his neck and pushed him against the wall. Her wings beat behind her, lifting her off the ground, a perfect eye level with the man.

“You won’t be missed or cared for. Better die now than later.” The girl took her free hand and held it before his face.. As she opened her hand slowly, the man’s mouth opened and a white, bright mist came out from his mouth. His eyes grew very wide, and his skin started to wrinkle. Just as the girl took her hand away from the man’s face, his eyes rolled back and he fell to the floor.

The girl landed on the ground gracefully and cradled the man up by his head. With an evil smile, she swiftly tore his head off, letting it roll next to him. The man’s body slumped down to the ground, lifeless. The girl giggled and turned around towards the boy that stood behind her, silently watching her performance. She walked up to him and smiled.

“Another soul to add to my collection.” She said proudly. The boy grinned.

“Wasn’t that too extreme? You didn’t have to tear his head off.” The boy forced a smile but the girl glared at him.

“C’mon Damion,” the girl groaned, rolling her eyes at him. She opened her bag to show him the bright, white glowing soul that sat at the bottom of the bag. “I was just having fun.”

“Maybe a little bit of too much fun,” Damion muttered. The girl stomped her feet, and the whole ground shook, but Damion didn’t lose balance. He was use to these kinds of things.

“Let’s go,” She said, aggravated. She walked towards the entrance of the alley, Damion following behind her. “We have someone to find.”

“But Elodie,” Damion said, grabbing her upper arm. Elodie kept walking, but glanced at Damion from the corner of her eye. “Let’s stop at Blue Blaze. An hour is all we’ll spend there.” Damion tried to redeem himself from disappointing Elodie, and not to any surprise, Elodie accepted.

She quickly turned around towards Damion and wrapped her legs around Damion’s waist. She wrapped her arms around his neck and smiled.

“You know just how to make a girl happy,” Elodie growled, smiling with pleasure.