Chapter 2

I walked back in the cafe and sat the tray down on the counter. “Two french vanillas, three croissants, two waters, and a cup of tea. With sugar.” I rushed out. Jasmine was drying glasses behind the counter and looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language to her.

“Répétez s'il vous plaît. Je ne comprends pas,” Jasmine replied, rolling her tongue to fit the language she was speaking. She smirked at me while writing my order down on a piece of paper, and I rolled my eyes.

“Merci beaucoup, Mademoiselle,” I smiled, and rested my elbows on the counter. Jasmine sat the piece of paper on the little window in the wall behind her that lead to the kitchen. She turned back to me, wiping her hands on her green apron.

“Breaking News: A man found dead in an alley last night by ParkView Street. It was found that the man was beaten badly, and then beheaded. Investigators say that the man is identified as Sam Evermore, a 26 year old local man working at the papermill ...”

I looked up at the TV screen behind me. I pressed my lips together and shook my head. It was unusual for things like this to happen in town. I was just as confused when Jasmine spoke.

“What disgusting creature would take the time to do that?” Jasmine asked in disbelief. I shook my head, having no answer to that. Before I could say or do anything, I felt a soft breeze from behind me, making me shiver from head to toe. I turned around, wondering where that breeze came from. When I finally turned around, I looked through the window and realized a new customer had arrived outside.

And he was looking directly at me.

I swallowed, and hit Jasmine blindly in the arm. I heard a soft “Ow!” but I ignored it.

“Hey,” I asked her, still looking at the guy. He had sunglasses on to cover his eyes. His skin was a sun kissed color. He had blond hair that reached just above his eyebrows. I turned back towards Jasmine to avoid looking at him. I didn’t even realize I was staring at him.

“Your 9 o’clock. Do you know who that guy is that just got here?” I asked, leaning in and whispering it to her. Jasmine stood up straight and flipped her hair, getting a small glimpse at the boy that was sitting outside to her left. She tried to make it casual, but made it a little bit too obvious. Jasmine lean back towards me and grinned.

“He’s hot,” Jasmine grinned, looking at him in the corner of her eyes. I smiled, and casually looked back towards him. I wasn’t that great at making it casual like Jasmine did, but I was decent. I turned back towards Jasmine and smiled.

“You should go get his order,” Jasmine told me under her breath. “Don’t keep him waiting.” Jasmine winked at me. I looked at her in disbelief and shook my head.

“No,” I quickly replied. “You should.” I bit my lip with hesitation.

“Actually,” Jasmine began, sliding over the notepad and pen to me. “I serve the tables that are inside today. You’re outside. And besides, things have changed since 6th grade.” Jasmine smirked. I rolled my eyes and took the notepad and pen.

“Like what?” I grinned. Jasmine went back to the window and grabbed the tray that was sitting there. She handed it to me with a smile.

“Like,” She begain. “You have slightly bigger boobs now. Your butt looks better. You cheeks aren’t that chubby anymore, and your hair has grown out. In my handbook, that all equals to sexy.” I threw my head back and laughed. A few seconds after, I felt my cheeks grow red from embarrassment. Jasmine did just say all of that in front of a packed cafe. I was pretty sure the guy next to us was eavesdropping.

I threw a towel at her and grinned. “Oh, shush.” I hissed at her. Jasmine laughed, making her way towards the back of the cafe. I made my way outside the building and towards the people outside. I first stopped at a table of three school girls who didn’t even look like they were older than 13. I dropped off the french vanillas and the cup of tea. After, I headed towards a group of middle age looking women. They were busy talking about the latest trends that I gave no care about. Lastly, I dropped off the bottle of waters at a table of two elderly couple. I smiled and walked away.