CHAPTER SEVEN

DAVID picked up his phone, stared at it for three seconds and then put it down again. Damn. Ilang beses na niyang ginawa iyon ngunit hindi niya mapigilan.

Nababaliw na yata siya. That must be the reason why even though he knew that he was running out of time, he quit fixing his necktie, and picked up his phone again. This time, he didn't stare at it, instead he composed a message that he had been itching to type.

Hw are u? Is evrythng fine in der?

Ngunit dahil malapit na nga yata siyang mabaliw, hindi niya sinent ang mensaheng iyon na para kay Lolita.

Maaga pa itong umalis kanina para sa reunion nito. She went there with a braveheart yet he couldn't help but worry about her. There was something in his mind that tells him that he must atleast ask her if she was okay. But he can't get himself to do it. Why?

Because it felt wrong.

Valentines Day iyon ngayong araw at sinamantala na niya ang pagkakataon para yayain muli si Kim para sa isang date. Infact, he even rented a restaurant for them to have their privacy. He was lucky enough that Kim chose him over Robie for a date that day. Kaya naman naghanda siya ng maigi para doon.

And right when he should be preparing for their date later, he can't get himself to do it. His mind wandered somewhere else, particularly to someone. It was Lolita. She seemed to take him away with her when she left this morning. Hindi niya alam kung bakit siya nag-aalala dito kung kalian dapat mas busy siya sa pag-iisip ng gagawin niyang pagtatapat kay Kim mamaya.

And it made the unexplainable feeling inside him felt wrong. In fact, everything he was feeling right at that moment seemed so wrong. Ngunit mukhang hindi naman siya matatahinik kung hindi niya nalalaman ang kalagayan ni Lolita kaya nagdesisyon siyang itext nito.

Man, nothing is wrong with that. It's just a simple goddamn text. Pangungumbinsi niya sa kanyang sarili. Right. How can a text be that wrong as if his life depended onto it? Just go text her.

He was about to pick up his phone again when he heard a knock on his door. He immediately opened it and he was shocked to see who it was.

He saw Lolita standing outside, holding a grocery bag and was dripping wet. "D-David..." their eyes met. Kahit pa basang basa ito ng ulan, alam niyang umiiyak ito. The sadness in her eyes and her somber voice told him that he already got the answer to the question he had been asking in his mind for hours now. She wasn't okay.

He automatically drew her in and pulled her close. He felt a rush of warmth the moment he held Lolita in his arms and it felt right. He automatically felt everything was right. But how come embracing her feel so right when he knew so well that it was wrong?

To hell with right and wrong. I'm gonna hold her like this until she stops crying and feel okay.

KUNG GAANO katagal na yakap ni Lolita si David, hindi niya alam at wala siyang paki-alam. Basta ang alam lang niya sa mga oras na iyon at kailangan niya ito. He needed David to make her feel that she wasn't alone. At hindi siya nito binigo. Dahil sa bawat hikbi niya, lalong humihigpit ang yakap nito sa kanya.

Gusto niyang sisihin ang kanyang sarili kung bakit pa niya ginustong pumunta sa reunion nila ngunit hindi niya magawa iyon. Kung hindi siguro siya pumunta sa reunion nila, hindi niya malalaman ang totoo. She wasn't a Binubuenas. Hindi siya kasali sa pamilyang iniisip niyang pamilya niya.

Pagdating na pagdating niya sa ancestral house nila ay nakita niya ang iba't ibang reasksyon mula sa mga kamag-anak niya. All those reaction gave her one solid idea—she wasn't welcome in that occasion. Ngunit ipinagpatuloy pa rin niya ang nais niyang gawin. Binati niya ang mga tiyahin at mga tiyohin niya, yumakap sa mga pinsan at nagmano sa kanyang lola.