XI

"Look around?" She cocked her head to the right. 

"Y-yeah. Since I'm hurt and all, it wouldn't hurt to relax a bit." My stomach growled painfully, when did I last eat? I felt a smack from a plastic bag on my forehead. 

"Told you food was food." Jordan smirked, I yanked the bag of trail mix from his hand and away from my face. 

"This isn't real food anyways." Despite my complaining, I scarfed down whatever was in the bag. I decided not to be selfish, and when my stomach stopped screaming, I gave the other half to Carol. We couldn't live off of this forever. 

"You sure seemed to enjoy it." He walked off and started talking to Michael. I scowled. 

"You guys sure seem to have a hate-love relationship." Erin came near us to partake on the trail mix. 

"Please. I have nothing regarding love towards that guy." I scoffed. 

"Ouch!" Jordan yelled sarcastically, I knew he was listening. 

"Really?" She gave me a look, I giggled. 

"Really." I stood up ignoring the pain in my leg, it wasn't going to get me anywhere. "They might have a dollar store upstairs or something. We should check it out."  I brought back my first intentions. 

"I don't either of us can exactly walk." Erin chuckled. 

"I can. But when I showered yesterday, I found some old crutches." Aside from the gruesome features of the security office, there was another door with medical aids and a holding place for lost kids. 

"I think I like this idea. I'll take the boys, you take the girls." Jordan walked over, I rolled my eyes. I knew he was listening, what a creep. After everything he did, I would rather he stop paying attention to me. 

"Whatever." I waved him off. Even after everything, I know we have to stick together, but it is just so hard. 

  I walked up to the security room and grabbed the crutches, this would likely be our last day here. If it is, I have to make sure we didn't miss the chance for supplies. By the time I walked back down, all the guys disappeared with Jordan. Even Michael! 

"Wow, guess it's just us." I handed the crutches to Erin, they were a bit tall, so she used only one to hoist herself up. 

"Yeah, just you. I'm not going." Kaylah sat firmly in her spot. She hadn't spoke to me for the most part, and I wanted to get rid of that attitude, but I just left it alone. 

"Just let us know if you need anything." I sighed. "This is too much." The three of us parted from Kaylah. 

"And feels way too surreal." She said as we made our way through the empty mall. 

"Tell me about it." I held onto Carol's hand, how does a ten year old girl even feel about all of this? 

  I remembered losing my father not so far from her age, though most of the memories were fuzzy. My heart beat heavily. I remember him leaving out one day and not returning, I went to look for him. I never found him... at least, not all in one piece. 

"Vanessa!" Carol yelled at me. I snapped out of my flashback. 

"Y-yeah?" I calmed myself. 

"Can we go in here?" Erin pointed to a popular store. The Russe® shop was still filled widely with clothes, none of them seemed suitable to wear though.

  I walked around and looked at every crop top, they had a bunch of those. I then went over to the jeans, embarrassed, I grabbed a few pairs in my size. For supply purposes, I tried to convince myself, but I couldn't help being fond of the pretty clothes. 

"Hey, do these look tight?" Erin walked out of the fitting room with blue jeans on. They seemed to fit her better than the pants I chose out for her earlier. 

"How do they feel?" I walked over to her, eager to get into a fitting room myself. 

"Just fine really." She answered. 

"Then it should be fine." I walked to the back rooms, some the walls were covered with black streaks. Most of the doors were open, Others definitely took their time in here. 

  I hopped into a dressing room, it smelled awfully musty in there. It wasn't unbearable though. I took the jeans and slipped them on easily, they didn't leave me with as much motion as the shorts did, but they were comfortable. 

Just in case, I'll take them with me.

  Lucky for me, the store also had backpacks. They weren't as hefty as my hiking bag, but it was better than nothing. I took one, yanked out the filling, and shoved the black pair of jeans inside. I looked around for Carol, the things that were her size weren't very appropriate for ten year old, not that I've never seen one wear it. 

I walked over to her. "See anything you like?" I placed my hand on her shoulder. She shook her head 'no.' "Alright." I wanted a jacket so I could finally get out of this long-sleeve. It actually got way too hot at night wearing a long sleeve, at least I could remove a jacket. 

  After I settled on a black bomber jacket, Erin walked over wearing tennis shoes. Those would definitely come in handy, but I've always been a boots person. We walked out of the shop satisfied, but I still worried for Carol. I took her to the children's shop next to find some better shoes and clothes. 

"How are you feeling kiddo?" Erin caught on to Carol's behavior. "When we get out of here, we can do something fun." She smiled at her, but Carol looked at me concerned. 

"W-why not? We can fill up on snacks and enjoy ourselves." I also smiled at her, and though it took a while, Carol finally smiled at us. 

After all, if she couldn't confide in us, who was going to be there?