Chapter 1 [Pilot]

She readjusted the strap around her wrist pulling it tighter to reassure that her fingerless glove wouldn't be moving any time soon. Everyone around her was rushing back and forth trying to accomplish whatever they could with what little time they had. In the background, all she could do was watch them go. There was no stopping them, no tampering with the rhythm of life around her.

Her job was to be an observer until the moment called for her to step in. So, that's just what she did.

"Duke, Ripcord-" the head of the base approached her with two men behind them. From her position on her bike,  Bell looked up with cold eyes studying the men. One was more muscular than the other, the dark skinned one being more lean. He looked quicker, but the way his eyes focused on only her showed that the white one paid more attention to his surroundings. They must have been partners, because side by side they were polar opposites. "This is Captain Miles. She will be assisting you on your transport today."

"Assisting?" Rip rose an eyebrow. "No offense captain but I think we can-"

"Miles will take lead on the convoy, scout ahead and will take the role of your back up in case anything goes wrong."

Nodding, Duke looked her up and down with a sideways smile. "I think we can manage that."

Matching his grin, her silver eyes pierced into his blue. "I don't think you have a choice."

It was a short stare down, but as the nuclear warheads were transferred to duke's teams, they broke contact and went their separate ways. "Alright." Duke called. "I want minimum distance between each convoy you understand me? Let's move out!"

His men went to their positions, climbed into their jeeps, and formed the convoy. In the third vehicle back, Duke leaned out of the passenger window and motioned for her to take lead. All she did was let out a breath, mount her bike, and undo the straps to her helmet. "Miles." The commander called.

Looking to him, she revved the engine between her legs and tilted her chin backwards.

"Whatever happens, those warheads get to their destination."

Without acknowledging him, she pulled the helmet over her messy bun and tucked the loose strands of brown hair behind the sides of her helmet. Then, she had the visor over her eyes and pressed the button on the side allowing her the night vision that she needed to ride without headlights.

Bell moved out first, leading the convoy out of the hanger and onto the road.

Her eyes never stopped searching, she never stopped listening, and Bell never let her guard down. These warheads had more value than many believed. They had the power of destroying an entire city in under ten minutes, killing a man in less than one.

If they fell into the wrong hands- that was it.

It made Bell wonder: Why would anyone even create something like this?

It wasn't her position to question though. Her job was to follow orders without argument, Bell learned what happened if you tried to dig on something you had no business being a part of.

It was a lesson she never wanted to learn again.

==========================================

Duke and Rip watched Miles ahead of the convoy. She moved fast, silently, and didn't break unless it was absolutely necessary. "I say Marines." Rip announced looking at her again.

Throwing his head back, Duke rolled his eyes. "Marines, really? There's no way."

"Why not?"

"Look at her! And they wouldn't put a marine on this division, it just isn't-"