Chapter 3

Sam

My eyes opened. I remembered my burns and winced. They did not hurt as much, since my system was slowly healing itself, but I could speed that process up. I sat up, and placed my hand on the worst burn. It hurt, but began to heal. So did the other burns. I pulled my shirt down, and jacket on. Sara and Seth nodded, satisfied. I looked around. We were driving down a dusty road, and it was night. Jack stopped the cab.

"Alright, here's the deal. The cab doesn't move until your mouths do. So start talking." He snapped. "The information you seek is not within your grasp of understanding. " I said, staring him down. "We are dealing with issues outside the realm of.... your world." Sara said. "Hey! I'm a cab driver, ok? I've had plenty of worldly experien..." he began, before trailing off. We whirled around. A light, growing larger quickly, was in the distance.

The Siphon! "Sara, we have to go!" I shouted. She used her powers to stomp on the gas. Jack grabbed the wheel. "What is it?" he shouted. A ball of fire was blasted right in front of us, bouncing us around. "Hang on!" he yelled. I jerked down. We drove into a tunnel. Then we stopped, an Jack turned the engine off. I turned to Sara.

"We can't let him destroy it, Sara." I said. She pulled the proof for home out. She nodded. "Who is he, and this time I need real answers." Jack said. "It's a Siphon." I said. "What?" Jack asked. "It's an assassin trained to pursue his target, until his mission is completed." Seth said. "And his mission.... is..." Jack trailed off as the Siphon's search lights turned on at the exit of the tunnel. "Us." Sara said as her voice broke. The lights crept forward steadily toward the cab. Jack gripped the steering wheel, inching his hand toward the keys. The light were just inches away from the cab now.

After a moment of pure tension, the lights shut off, withdrew, and then they flew away quickly. We all let out a huge breath. Jack carefully turned the cab back on, and backed the car away.

We drove along the train tracks in silence. "Is there a safer route, Jack Bruno?" Sara asked, breaking the silence. "Not unless you know how to fly," he replied sarcastically.

The Siphon's spaceship flew in front of us. It somehow blasted the back of the cab, jolting us forward. It shot the bridge as we drove along it, attempting to make us fall. We sped into a tunnel, and it followed. "Jack Bruno!" Sara cried as a train horn sounded. "Oh, come on!" Jack shouted at the cab. "Faster! Faster!" I cried. "It won't go any faster!" Jack shouted at me. "Sara!" Seth cried, and she used her powers to speed the car up. We made it out, just before the spaceship and train crashed.

After a little while, we stopped. Jack got out to work on the engine. "We cannot trust him," Seth tried. "I know that we can." Sara confirmed. "We must."

Jack began laughing. "Couple of kids, a large wad of cash, what could go wrong?: he asked, slamming the hood of the car down. He got into the car, and slammed the door shut. "We understand that you are frustrated, Jack Bruno, but-" Sara attempted to say, but Jack cut her off. "No. No more, Jack Bruno this, Jack Bruno that. I have been asking for answers."

"You already know the answers, Jack Bruno. My brother, sister and I are not from you planet." Sara explained.

Jack laughed. "So, that's it? Mystery solved? You want me to believe that you three are aliens?" he asked coldly. "It is the truth." I confirmed. "Really? Well you don't look like aliens." he snapped.

"Well, what does an alien look like" Sara questioned. "You know what aliens look like! They look like little green people with antennas, and laser guns who say, "take me to your leader, earthlings"." Jack explained.

Sara turned to us. "He requires some sort of proof," she said. "He thinks that we are insulting his intelligence."

"You think? You can't just drop the "we're aliens" bomb on somebody! You know, I have seen some pretty..." he began, but stopped as Sara raised her hand, allowing various items in the cab to float into the air.

Jack stopped talking. "I have the ability to move objects with my mind," Sara explained. "That's impossible," Jack protested in a small voice. "No, it is actually quite possible, on my world as well as yours. You cannot do it yet, because you have not learned to use your full brain capacity." Sara added. "No, we just don't do it because it is not normal. So, I would really appreciate it if you would stop that." Jack stated. Sara shrugged, allowing the items to fall back to the floor.