Chapter 2

-Shopping today. Meet at our table at 2

I threw my phone down on the couch next to me. The last thing I wanted to do today was leave the safety of my apartment. The TV in front of me blared an episode of South Park, loud enough even the neighbors could probably hear it. The volume was almost maxed out in an attempt to clear my still-spinning head, but it was no use.

It had been a week since I had escaped Ia's apartment, and the scene unfolding within it. During this week, I only left my apartment for work. Nothing else. And Miku had caught on. She had texted our group chat, including her, Ia, Gumi, and I. At least she wasn't directing her impatience directly on me.

My phone buzzed again. It was Ia.

-I'll be there

Soon after, Gumi responded as well.

-Yay! I just got paid, too!

I took a deep breath. Even thinking of her made me want to stare at the picture Miku had sent me. The idea of its existence terrified me, because there was physical proof of... the event, but I also couldn't bring myself to delete it. Or even to tell Miku to delete it. Not even was the only proof, but it was also the only thing I was able to keep from that night. A souvenir, almost.

A pang of guilt shot through me. Gumi knew nothing of this, and here I was, hoarding this moment to myself. If she saw this picture...

I was staring at it again. I hadn't even realized I had opened it. Locking my phone and setting it back on the couch, I returned to the show.

It instantly vibrated again.

-Rinny? You going?

Only one person still called me by that name. My finger found my temple and rubbed it as I stared at the text. I couldn't say no to her. Her puppy dog eyes shot into my mind, and I began typing.

-Yeah. Sure thing

She instantly replied.

-Yayyyy!

The clock read 12:34. After this episode, I'd start getting ready.

I lied to myself. I had watched a couple more episodes, and was now walking up to the corner table at the food court, a full half an hour late. Oddly, I wasn't in a hurry.

"There you are!" Ia scolded me. "We've been waiting!"

I shrugged, trying to avoid the eyes of the green-haired girl across from her. "I, uh, took a nap."

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," Gumi waved a finger at me. "Can never get enough beauty sleep, huh Rinny?"

"I guess not." My hands folded in front of me. "So, where to?"

Miku had watched me walk up silently. I could tell she was overly aware of my nervousness around our friend, as he was watching our interactions carefully. Finally, she stood. "I need makeup!"

"To MAC it is!" Ia yelled triumphantly. Her and Gumi rose with Miku.

"Good idea," Gumi cheered. "The first store you take me to is the one where I'll spend the most money," she muttered.

I grinned. We began our walk through the crowded food court.

Gumi fell into step next to me. "Are you gonna get anything?" She asked me.

I continued to fiddle with my hands. "I'm not sure."

"I'll help you find the good stuff," she promised. "We can do makeovers!"