Chapter 5

The next day was very eventful. Every maid and servant in the palace was running wild for my birthday celebration that would occur later this evening. All the stores in the village were closed today so everyone in the village was able to prepare for the ceremony.

I had maids rushing in and out of my room constantly trying to prepare me for the party. Today's I was turning 18 yet I didn't feel anything special or different at all in the slightest. The maids had styled my hair beautifully. It was partly pinned back with only a few strands framing my face. The rest of my hair ran down my back in my natural soft curls. For once my hair looked more lively than normal. It looked brighter than its usual soft brown color. The maids even decorated my face with makeup which contrasted my facial features. My cheek bones stood out more than usually. My lips which were partially parted looked slightly bigger and and a darker pinkish color due to the lipstick that covered them. My eyes stood out the most. My lashes were thicker and longer from the mascara. My eyes looked bigger from the soft shades of eyeshade that covered my eye lid and from the dark line that encircled my eyes in give them depth. The crimson iris of my eyes shined brighter than their usual dull red.

My dress matched my eyes. A beautiful deep red that ran smoothly down my physique with a trail behind my path. The dress was tight on my chest compared to the flowing feeling from my waist down. Silky straps laid loosely just under my shoulders. My skin from my neck to the top lining of my chest was completely revealed from the strapless feature. At this point all the maids left to finish setting up for the ceremony and I'm left staring at the mirror before admiring the girl I see looking back at me. She looked beautiful. I felt beautiful.

A soft knock causes me to break my gaze from the mirror. I glance at the door before shifting my eyes back to the mirror.

"Come in" I say as I look at the mirror, my hands running against the silkiness of my dress. The door creaks opens and my eyes shift to the opening. I'm left shocked at who is standing in the doorway.

"Father" I say bluntly.

"Elisabeta" he says lowly.

I turn my gaze back to mirror still amazed at how beautiful the maids have made me.

"I thought you might want this gift before the ceremony starts" he says as he walks up behind me and places something on my neck.

My eyes alter to my neck in the mirror. There laid a diamond necklace with unbelievably shining stones. My eyes widen at the beauty of it as my hand reaches up to touch the fragile jewels. My father stayed standing behind me his eyes fill with sadness and happiness.

"It was your mother's. She wanted you to have it when you turned 18" he softly says.

I smile lightly as I admire the diamonds that decorated my neck. My mother, oh how I miss her dearly each and every day. This is the only thing I have of her beside some of my features.

"Thank you" I whisper, my eyes glistening over with unshed tears. Out of the corner of the mirror I see my father nod his head just before he leaves the room.

Soon enough a maid walks into my room leading me to the front entrance of the palace. I stand there staring at the doors in front of me that lead outside of the palace. Suddenly I feel nervous, for why? I'm not really sure.

"You look beautiful princess" the maid smiles warmly towards me as if sensing my nerves.

I smile warmly back to her.

"Thank you. I couldn't look and feel this beautiful without all of your guys' help" I respond grateful to have caring people to look out for me in the palace since after all they were the ones that mainly took care of Nikolai and I after our mother passed.