chapter 1

I tried not to stare as he walked through the hallway, but I just couldn't help it. Luke Hemmings was just perfect. He was the one boy everyone wanted, including myself. But who was I kidding? Loser, geeky, ugly Ariana with popular, hot Luke Hemmings? As if!

All the girls turned from their lockers when Luke walked by. He shot a glance my way. I smiled at him, and he smiled back.

Luke never smiles back at any girl.

I couldn't help but blush. I turned back to my locker to collect my history book for first class. The girls burst out in laughter.

"As if Luke would like her!"

"She's gross and she's such a loser!"

"Forget it, he won't go for you!"

"Ugly freak!"

I tried to ignore the insults from all of the girls. But I couldn't. I felt my eyes well up with tears. I slammed my locker shut and walked through the hallway to the girls bathroom, my head down in defeat. Everyone burst out into laughter yet again.

Luke looked up to see what was happening. I could see him look at me from the corner of my eye.

I headed around the corner. Just as I was about to push open the girls bathroom door, I felt a hand on my arm. I turned around to see Luke. 

"Hey." He smiled.

"Hi..." I began.

"Do they always do that to you?" He asked. I nodded, looking up to his beautiful face.

"Oh. You don't deserve that. Do your friends help you?"

I began to sob. Luke put his hands on my shoulders.

"I have no friends, Luke. I have no one. I have no one to talk to. I have no one to go out with. I have no one to do anything with me. I'm a loser, a freak, ugly. And anyway, why are you even here? You don't want to be seen near me." I put my head down.

"Ariana, listen. You're none of those things. You're beautiful. You do have a friend. You have me now." He smiled at me.

"How do I know you're not just saying that to make me feel better?" I questioned.

"How many girls have I seen upset and followed them? None. I generally don't care. But, I care about you. I see you alone, and it breaks my heart. All I want to do is come up to you and tell you that you're beautiful. But, I could never bring myself to do it, and now I regret it. Whenever I say something, I always mean it. I'm not the lying kind, so believe me when I say, that you, Ariana, are absolutely beautiful. Start believing it, and throw away those razor blades."

I quickly pulled down my sleeves to cover the scars.

"Luke, thankyou so much." I smiled at him. He wiped my tears with his two thumbs. He embraced me in a tight hug. I hugged him back. I couldn't believe what had just happened.

The bell rang. It saddened me when he slowly let go.

"Of course, the f**king bell rings just when I'm enjoying myself. Here." He hands me a small piece of paper on which he had written down his phone number. "Save it in your phone and text me whenever. I'm always here. Don't forget it." He grinned. Luke, you're so god damn adorable.

"Thankyou so much. I will, and again, thankyou. I'll see you soon." I said as I walked to first period, a smile appearing on my face.

I walked inside Mr Kingsley's history classroom. I sat down in my usual seat, front row right in the middle. I loved history. It fascinated me how people lived back when without most of the tools and equipment and knowledge that we have now. It also fascinated me how people discovered things, like how to create a fire. I glanced towards the door and saw the popular girls walk in. They looked at me in disgust. The leader of their pack, Monica walked up to my desk and said to me:

"I saw you and Luke this morning. I suggest you stay away from him, because he is mine. He obviously wants me. I mean I'm hot and popular, and you're the complete opposite of those. Luke is way out of your league honey, so don't even bother trying, or your face and my fist will meet. How does that sound?" She laughed as she walked to the back of the room with her little posse following her, snickering as well.

I began to frown. This sort of thing shouldn't get to me, but it does. It makes me feel horrible. I have no one to turn to to help me, except now I supposedly have Luke, though I can't turn to him, or this wil just get worse. Should I not talk to Luke, even though its what I want more than anything?

My head began to throb. I was over thinking the situation, but I couldn't control it. Mr Kingsley walked inside the room.

"Sorry I'm late everyone. I got held up."

I stood up and walked over to him.

"Mr Kingsley, may I go to the office to get some Panadol from the nurse? I have a bit of a headache." I spoke quietly.

"Sure, but be quick please."

I walked out the door and down the hallway towards the office. I took a slight detour into the girls bathroom. I locked myself in one of the stalls and took my razor blade out of my pocket. I thought deeply about it. I remembered what Luke had said, but I was unable to help it. I took the blade and dragged it across my skin. It was a moderately deep cut, and blood gashed out. I cut a few more times and then cleaned myself up.

I walked out of the bathroom and continued on to the office. I reached the office and walked into the nurses office.

"Hello love. How can I help you?"

"Hello. May I have a Panadol please?" I asked politely.

The nurse opened her cupboard door and grabbed out a Panadol tablet.

I swallowed it down with a glass of water.

"Thankyou very much." I smiled at the school nurse.

"No worries darl, hope you feel better!"

On the way back to Mr Kingsley's room, my phone vibrated in my pocket. It was a text from Luke.

"I saw you enter the office, you okay? x"

I replied back,

"Yeah, i'm fine, just a headache. See you at lunch?"

"Of course. Meet me at room 106 :)"

I smiled and put my phone back into my pocket, just as I was approaching the classroom door. I returned to my seat, opened my book and listened to what Mr Kingsley had to say. I couldn't wait for this class to be over so that I could see Luke again.