Chapter One: The Butcher's Daughter

"Oi, (Y/n)!" Shiiroko (L/n) yelled, waving at his sister, who was busy shaving the wool off of a sheep, hanging upside down by its hooves, blood spattered across the (h/c) haired girls shirt. She turned and propped her hands on her hips.

     "You left me to kill this thing alone you know!" She yelled, lifting her shirt and pointing to a red splotch of skin just above her left hip. It was already beginning to turn purple around the edges.

     Shiiroko cringed, because of both her yelling and the bruise.

     "Hey, little sis, take your headphones off!" He yelled. She took them off and shook her hair out.

     "What?" She asked, her voice holding a bit of annoyance.

     "Dad said he needs you to help me with the counter, and that Tsumiko'll deal with this."

     She let out an exaggerated sigh, and set the knife down, saying 'alright.'

     Being the daughter of the town's butcher isn't the easiest thing to do, especially when most of your customers were desperate vampires who didn't want to pray on humans and lived in fear of the Hunter's Association.

(Y/n)(L/n)'s PoV

     Being the town's butcher, for vampires and humans, isn't all that great. It's heartwrenching to cut up someone you know and give them away, but we fear vampires just as much as everyone else does.(At least those who knew about them)

     There are some that are much stronger than we could ever be. So I prefer to stay in the back, doing most of the butchering.
When my brother said that my father wanted me to run the desk, I knew there was another human.

     With little reluctance, I arrived at the front desk, jumping into the spinning chair. I spun once and stopped, pulling out a small zip up bag containing five dumplings and a few potstickers.

     "Mmm--" I smile at the fresh taste of the dumplings as my big sister arrives with more.

     "You're welcome," Tsukimori chuckled. She and Tsumiko were twins, while Shiiroko was the oldest. Guess who gets treated like the baby.

     Despite my continuous improvements, I'm always taken as weak and "needing protection". I constantly tell them that they need to give me a chance, but they never do.

     I finished my dumplings and potstickers and reach for the bag my sister so stupidly left on the counter, only for her to appear and step out from behind the curtain, smacking my hand. I yelp and pulled back, rubbing the back of my hand gingerly.

     "If you want more food, go and get it yourself." She said, handing me 500 yen. My eyes lits up, sparkling as I stared at the money.

     "I didn't give you this. Be careful." She said, winking and putting her index finger to her lips in a shushing motion. Nodding, I leapt over the counter as she took my seat.

     I arrived at my favorite dumpling place and sat down at the bar, next to a man with dark hair and a trench coat. I ordered my usual (f/f), with a side of fried rice.

     As I sat down, I noticed that the man had a blood red drink in his hand. He looked at me and tilted his head.

     "Staring is rude, you know." My eyes widened as I realized that he was talking to me.

     "Oh, sorry. I didn't realize I was staring!" I giggled nervously. He chuckled and took a sip of his drink.

     "It's fine. It surprises me, to see someone as cute as you are, covered in blood 24/7." He murmured, with a grin. I blushed.