Heartbreak

He set his hand on her shoulder and shook. 

"Wake up," he said. 

She hummed as she woke up, taking his hand in hers. He pulled it away. 

She opened her eyes, sitting up a little. 

"What's wrong?" she asked. Her eyes drifted to his hands, where he was holding his silver wedding ring. Concern filled her. 

"I..." he exhaled. He closed his eyes. 

"I'm seeing someone else. And I love her." 

She furrowed her eyebrows. The words set into her skin. 

"Are you shitting me? What the hell?" She got out of bed and stood up. 

"I'm sorry." He set his ring on his nightstand. 

"When? How long?" She demanded. Her breathing got uneven. 

"About three months." He shuffled his feet and avoided eye contact. 

"You proposed to me two months ago! What the fuck!?" she yelled. She folded her arms angrily. 

"I thought it would end! I wanted to end it. Whatever." He walked out of the bedroom. She ran after him. 

"If you wanted it to end, how are you telling me you fucking love her now!?" 

"Situations changed! You stopped spending time with me. She's open to being by my side," he hissed, putting his shoes on. Tears fell down her cheeks. 

He continued, "I'm coming by Monday for my crap with movers. Don't touch it." 

He left the apartment. She backed into the wall behind her and sobbed. She slid down the wall and let the tears fall. 

"I thought we were in love," she whispered between sobs. 

After a few minutes, she got up and headed to the living room. She started a fire in the fireplace and curled up onto the black, leather couch with a dark pink, fluffy blanket. She cried silently in the warm room and looked down at her hands. 

The beautiful ring felt out of place now. She slid it off her finger. 

"What the fuck do I do now?" she whispered to herself. An anger bubbled under her skin and she threw the ring across the room. It landed in the fire. Nothing happened to it, but the red flames lapping at it was satisfactory enough.