Chapter 9

Leo stepped back from his work, the hot fires licking at his skin. In front of him, his new project was complete. He made two, knowing the Scrubs would try both. Two more souls that could go to Heaven instead of being stuck in limbo.

Limbo...was he also stuck in limbo?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nico knew the job was dangerous. He knew when he took it. But still, even after all these years, after seeing all those deaths, he never expected to die.

But there he was, Saturday afternoon, storming a building he knew nothing about. A building where he knew one of the hostages to be Will. It clouded his judgment, caused him to make a mistake that day.

Once again, it was a bullet that killed him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nico woke up on a metal bed with Will at his side. The blue-eyed boy was sleeping peacefully, his head laying on Nico's chest. His hair looked to be a mix of colors, his skin tone wasn't just one. At once, Nico could see all the bodies Will had inhabited before.

Only if he knew this before, then he could have shoved the information in the faces of the racist assholes. It didn't matter what body Will had inhabited before. He was still Will, he'd always be Will.

Will...

"Will, wake up." Nico gently shook him awake. "Are we...are we at that place you described? What even happened? How'd you die, too?"

"Hm?" Will blinked away sleep. "What?"

Nico snapped in front of his face. "How'd you die, William?"

"Oh, I killed myself." Will closed his eyes again. "I wanted to be here with you."

Nico's eyes widened. "You..actually killed yourself...just to be with me?"

"Course. I had no fear cause I knew where I was going." Will pulled the blanket over them. "Night."

"Wait, wait." Nico flicked his forehead. "I...I love you, Will."

"Love you, too." Will murmured. "Goodnight, now."

"Goodnight." Nico smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They didn't even get to breakfast before they were stopped by the Scrubs. Two large guys, their eyes black. They gestured for them to follow, follow into a part of the Facility that they hadn't been in before.

The metal hallways all looked the same. This one, however, had patches of soot on the ground and some piles of ash. One of the walls was dented, looking like someone had put up a fight.

Nico grabbed Will's hand, relaxed at the other being there. It'd be okay, it'd be okay, it'd be okay...

"Where are we going?" Will squeaked. "This isn't the right way to the surgery room."

The Scrubs didn't answer nor did the hallway end. It kept on, kept showing more and more doors. Finally, when Nico was about to speak up, the two Scrubs stooped in their tracks and gestured to a door.

Nico looked to Will, his voice low. "Should we go in?"

Will shrugged before opening the door. He stepped inside, slowly. The room looked to be a workplace, with long tables and large machines. A boy in black scrubs hunched over one table, sparks emitting from the tool he used.

"Leo?" Will's eyes widened. "You're still here."

Leo looked behind him, his eyes widening when he saw the two soulmates. "You're who they chose?"

"Who they chose?" Nico crossed his arms. "What's going on?"

Leo ran to them, his voice kept low to make sure nobody overheard. "They've been having me make inventions for them, try to get them immortal bodies. They test them on people like you. Every time the invention goes wrong, whoever was trying it can't be brought back here. Their soul finally goes to Heaven."

Will looked like he was about to cry in relief. "You're serious? That's possible?"

Leo nodded. "They must have chosen you two this time if they sent you here. That's good. That means you can live your next life and then go to Heaven. You won't ever have to come back here again."

Nico held his hand up. "Hold up, Sparky. What if I can't remember again? Will said they used to take his memories, but this time they took mine."

Leo got the bottle from his inner pocket and held it out. "Each of you drink half. That should keep your memories in you for now. Hurry up, they'll start suspecting something's up if we take too long."

Will didn't hesitate. He drank half before handing it to Nico, his blue eyes bright in the sparks. "Drink it. It'll be okay."

Nico finished the bottle, crumbling it in his hand before tossing it to the floor. "Okay, we're ready."

Leo put on goggles. "Let's do this."