Prologue

I remember when I had the perfect life. I had everything. I was top of the class, I was popular, I was pretty, I had the things everyone else wanted so desperately. I wasn't flawed. I wasn't inferior. I was defectless. I was... perfect.

I suppose I knew that it wouldn't last. It couldn't last. My life before wasn't sustainable by any means. It was like there was this voice at the back of my mind, saying "Grace, please. Slow down, just for a minute". I suppose that I knew I couldn't keep going. But I still didn't stop. I forced myself to keep going with my life, forced myself to keep up this act, because at that point in my life, that was the most important thing to me. Not anymore. My life has changed unrecognisably over the last few months. Anyone who didn't know me would think I was referring to two completely different people. That's just what happens. If anything, I've learned that you have to take what life throws at you and learn how to adapt. I think that's what people find so shocking about all of this. How I've adapted. But it's not like I ever had a choice. I didn't ask for any of this. But I've got it. I'm stuck with it now - this is my life. Nothing can change it.

I suppose you're wondering what I'm talking about. I mean, you know my name and you know about my previous life, but you don't know anything else. So I'll give you some simple facts. My name is Grace Jackson. I'm sixteen years old. And as of March 2014, I'm legally blind.

Please don't freak out. I know it's not the most usual thing in the world, but then again, I'm not a very usual girl. I guess you want to know more... who wouldn't? Ok, here goes...