Chapter Four

The cold air from his apartment’s air conditioning welcomed him as he walked through his door and locked it behind him. He walked past his kitchen and flopped down on his couch. The single window in the living room had the blinds closed and the room grew darker as the sun continued to set. Sitting there in the dark silence of his apartment, he tried once more to recall the events that had happened over a week ago.

He couldn’t shake the feeling that something important was missing from his thoughts. Closing his eyes tight, he let out a groan of frustration. His head ached every time he came close to recalling whatever it was that he had forgotten. The only visual image he received was the crucifix and its mournful expression as it had looked down on him.

A sound met his ears like that of paper rustling. Opening his eyes, he glanced at his door to see an envelope on the ground where someone had slipped it into his apartment. Walking over, he paused a moment staring at the wax seal before taking a deep breath and opened it. Inside was a single line of script with gorgeous handwriting that belonged to a true calligrapher. It simply read:

Midnight at the Church

A rush came over him as he unlocked his door as fast as his hands would allow him. Running out into the hallway, he looked right and left, finding no one in sight. Desperate, he ran down the stairs and through the main hall in hopes of seeing who may have left him the letter.

“Are you okay?” It was Annie, his landlord, standing at her door with a laundry basket full of linens in her arms. “You look pale, are you getting sick again? You’re not going to pass out on me, are you?”

“N-no.” He stuttered as he made eye contact with her. “I just, well, did someone come walking out this way?”

“Not that I noticed. I just came down the hall and was unlocking my door after doing some laundry.” She took a moment to set the basket inside her apartment and came back out. “If anyone was out and about I would have passed them for sure. What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing.” He sighed rubbing the back of his neck for a moment as he sorted through his thoughts. “I think a lack of sleep is getting to me again. Sorry to spook you, Annie.”

“Well, just call me if you need anything, Hotan.” Annie gave him a warm smile as she went back into her apartment. “Good night!”

Making it back to his living room, he dropped the letter onto the coffee table. He sat on the couch glaring at it, pondering who could have written it. It was clear that no one he knew of had the skills for such artistic writing. Furthermore, the wax seal ruled out every one. Such an old-fashioned touch and staring at it gave him a nostalgic sensation.

Who sent this to me? Why would anyone want to meet me, and then set the place at the church? The church is so vague but I know which one they are referring to. Worse is that whoever this is, wants to meet at midnight. Is this what happened to me the last time? Or is this Hisota or someone else’s way of getting under my skin?

Picking the letter back up, he leaned on his knees as he thumbed the writing. After several minutes, he closed his eyes, trying to remember. Chills crawled across his skin as he recalled the day he was found on the church floor. Straining his concentration, he managed to see a glimpse of a memory. He wasn’t alone that night in the church, without a doubt. There had been a man standing over him. All he could recall was the sad grey eyes that had stared down at him.

Is that who sent this letter? What good is it if I can’t recall what happened? Either way, how do I know if some-

A knock at the door jolted him from his thoughts. Biting his cheek for a moment, he weighed whether or not to answer it. Another round of knocking shouted through his apartment, demanding to be answered. Hesitating for a moment, he opened the door.