Prologue 1. Why me?

We never really learn from the first mistake. nor the second or third. I only hits us when we're given the last chance.

- Kush and Wizdom

Prologue

18 Years Ago

I stared at the star filled sky. The bright stars which made the dark sky feel like you could drown in an endless bliss. How I wish I could stay here with no worries, but back in reality I had to face my fears. Everyone had fears; mine was probably the worst anybody had crossed before, a fear for my parents. I knew that in the end I had to overcome the obstacles which life had thrown at me. Soon I promised myself. But not now. Was it just a couple of days ago that I was almost a normal teenager, spending endless nights with my soul mate, stealing kisses and cuddles could it really be that it could happen again? Were my only days of normality over?

I sighed as I looked around at what all the past scenarios in my life had led up to. The wind brushed against my heated face and blew my hair into my face, covering my gaze. I brushed my midnight black hair away so I could make out the scene before me. As I took in the clear water of my favourite lake; I looked at my 14 year old face, but couldn't seem to recognise myself. My face looked as if it had aged overnight, defining the black bags, which rimmed my eyes. My eyes, which were once a shade of bright silvery blue was now lifeless and dull. Inside me I felt hollow. Feeling as if there was no point in my existence, the only best part of it was for my lover was the main reason as to which I was still standing and breathing on the face of this planet. The truth was I was dead. No other way to state it. At least this is what I chanted to myself, 'I'm dead, dead dead oh yeah and dead...' I closed my eyes, my long eyelashes brushing against my skin and wished for death to come and rid me of my sorry excuse of a life, takeover my soul.

Why would someone be as stupid as me and want his/her life to be over? Of course there were many ways to amend the bad points somebody has in their life, But no, not for me. The hurtful truth, I was used, rejected by none other than my supposed soul mate. Bullshit. Soul mates aren't supposed to use you like a booty call and then dump you dry because they heard rumours and decided to believe them. I felt my heart constrict and tighten; I felt my heart be consumed by bitterness as a thought of the boy I thought I had once loved crept into my mind.

Dominic Castellanos.