The Suit

It was a late summer afternoon and the heat was oppressive as Katelyn stared out at her yard though her kitchen window. There had been very little rain this year, and because of water rationing it was looking pretty rough. Everything had a withered and dry look to it. She frowned when she thought about what the neighbors might think even though everyone's yard on their street looked much the same.

The white calico happened to be very self conscious cat and was forever fretting about what others might think and it showed in her appearance. The cat was a uniform white in appearance from the tips of her ears to the tip of her tail, and always stayed impeccably groomed. One slender arm rested on the green marble counter top while the other lightly gripped the stem of a wine glass that was nearly empty. She took another sip and though about another till she remembered the bit of extra weight she had put on in the last month.

Almost unnoticeable to anyone but the cat herself, it added a bit fluff and filled out her smallish chest quite nicely. She carried it quite well but it was a personal tragedy to Katelyn. Ten pounds over her 'newlywed' weight, she in two years had already let herself go like so many housewives before her. "I really must exercise some more self control," though Katelyn as her mind flicked through a list of sinfully delicious things she would have to purge from her refrigerator. She placed the empty glass in the sink and tightened the drawstring on her housecoat when she heard a distant rumble.

Her eyes flicked up and through the small window she watched a front of angry storm clouds rolled towards their house. The cat's mind flicked immediately to her husband Jonathan. His work had sent him on an almost week long trip and each night Katelyn had missed his warm body beside hers. Other parts of her missed him too as she thought of the handsome figure the dark gray wolf cut in one of his suits. He had the prettiest green eyes and Katelyn loved picking out clothes that really brought them out. Athletic but not thick, he was always so handsome and she loved how he wrapped his arm around hers when they were out. She still loved showing him off to anyone and everyone.

Another rumble of thunder halted her train of thought and brought images of her wolf's car sliding toward a ditch on rain slick roads or upturned on a freeway. She rubbed her paws with worry and was about to pick up the phone and call her mate when the familiar sound of his car rolling up the driveway reached her twitching ears. She heard the engine cut off and the car door chime followed by his paw steps on their garage steps.

She walked to the door just as it opened and her wolf steeped through, both paws full. He kicked the door shut and dropped his things as she moved forward and they hugged. Her head nuzzled at his chest as he wrapped her up in his arms.

"Missed you," he rumbled as one paw stroked over her head.

"Same here," said Katelyn looking up at her mate. He had a mischievous look in his eyes that she recognized. She saw excitement, expectation, and even a bit of hunger as he smiled down at her. He also smelled slightly different. It was still him but just different enough for her to notice. She frowned and took another sniff to be sure.

"You smell different baby," said Katelyn as she drew away.

"Ran out of my cologne. Had to buy some new stuff. Do you like it?" The cat drew his paw towards her nose as she gently ran her cheek over it. She took a deep breath and it was clearer now. It was a very male sent, strong, commanding. It tickled her senses and seemed to linger just a bit. It made her think of sweat and the things two furs might do to get sweaty.

"I do," she said as she laid a light kiss on his paw.

"Then you are going to love what I have in here," said Jonathan as he held up a rather large black shopping bag. Katelyn purred as she followed her wolf into their living room where took off his coat. He placed the bag between his knees and leaned back into his favorite chair with a big grin on his face.