ii

➳ MACKENZIE ZIEGLER

MACKENZIE ZIEGLER

MY JAW IS still open when he clears his throat once again, i'm just hoping and praying my first impression wasn't so bad he'll just take the polaroid from me and go.

"i'm so sorry, i didn't mean to just take a photo of you." i blurt out, in fear of him just walking away because of how weird i really am.

he shook his head and smiled. oh my gosh, do not smile mr. it's going to make it harder for me to say goodbye to you!

"no it's alright. may i see it though?" he asks kindly and gently. i pass him the polaroid and he smiles at it.

"you're a great photographer. i saw you taking photos earlier. is it just a hobby?" he begins a conversation and i smile at the fact that he doesn't want to leave just yet.

"no it's actually for an art project. my teacher had wanted us to take photos to print and paint." i explain, he nods and passes me the polaroid and i see that it's no longer blank and a photo of his eyes had appeared.

"oh, are you in lake high?" he asks and i nod.

"my mom is a teacher there, mrs. orlando. i'm guessing she teaches you. i'm johnny orlando. her son." johnny puts his hand out and i shake it.

it's a little late for introductions but whatever works. "i'm mackenzie ziegler, one of mrs. orlando's many art students." i introduce myself and he smiles once again.

okay, this dude knows i'm attracted to him and he isn't even hiding the fact he's so beautiful.

"why don't you go to lake high, johnny?" johnny shrugs and he looks at the ground, kicking a pebble that was near his foot.

"before my family decided to move here, i got bullied back in my old school. i guess ever since then, i haven't been encouraged to go back to actual school. i still do online school and exams, and yeah i pick up my mom from lake high. but i don't know," he explains and i open my mouth to speak, only to close it again.

"sorry if i hit a personal spot." i apologize and he shakes his head.

"would you like me to walk you back to your ride, mackenzie?" he offers and i nod. i lead him to the bikes and look down at the polaroid of his eyes.

i don't ever want to lose this.

"do you want the polaroid after i finish my project?" i offer and johnny shrugs. "i'm not sure. but i would like to see your painting of my eyes." johnny smiles and i smile too.

i really like this guy, i'm surprised it was so easy to connect with him.

i unlock my bike lock as johnny stands there and watches me. i look down at my watch on my wrist and realize it's not even been a good 2 hours yet. i'm enjoying this weather and this guy. "i don't wanna leave just yet."

johnny looks up at my eyes and i realized what i had said out loud. "i'd like to accompany you if you don't want to head home just yet." johnny offers and i smile at his response. i get on my bike and johnny watches me.

"sit here, and hold onto my waist so you don't fall off. and don't worry, my bike can hold our weights." i tap on behind my butt and he nods, getting on it. his long legs dangle and i wait for him to finish adjusting.

he places his arms around my waist and i look behind me. he smiles in reassurance and i begin peddling.

"where to, orlando?" i ask him as the wind blows through my hair. "anywhere, brunette." he responds and i laugh at his nickname.

"if you're going to start nicknames, i'll start nicknames too!" johnny says and i smile, even though he can't see me.

we bike around the park in a big circle twice, afterwards i pedal towards a local ice cream shop. my favourite one.

"let me treat you, orlando." i say and get off my bike. motioning him to stay there. johnny nods and i see him looking at the poster outside the shop.

"wait but mackenzie, i don't want you to pay for me." he stops me in my tracks and i turn around to face him again. "no, it's alright. you're letting me keep a picture of you. and we just met today, i'm literally a stranger. let me get you something nice."

"is cotton candy your favourite?" i ask him and he nods, accepting ice cream. i go inside the store and wait in the line up. after a man gets his ice cream and passes it to his young daughter i turn and take some steps towards the register.

"one scoop of cotton candy and one scoop of mint chocolate on cone. please." i say and hand the cashier some money. they nod and take it, giving me some extra change.

i turn back around and see johnny's on his phone outside the store. at least he's not running away. i tell myself.

the lady finishes and i take the two ice cream cones outside, pushing the entrance door with my back. "oh dear, i still have to bike!" i let out and laugh at my mistake. but johnny shakes his head.

"it's alright, i'll just walk home from here." he says and i shake my head. "no it's okay, i like your company." i tell him and he smiles. we finish up our ice cream a couple minutes later and i'm back on my bike.

"just head straight, turn left and i'll tell you when to stop at my neighbourhood." johnny instructs and i nod. doing what he had said.

"okay, stop here." johnny says and i do. i stop and turn around to look at him. "can i have your number?" he asks and i nod, taking out my phone from my pocket and telling him my number.

i try and see where and which one his house was, but i realized we stopped at a crosswalk. "see you soon mackenzie." he says and looks both ways before crossing the streets. "bye!" i tell out when he made it to the other side and i watch his tall figure disappear from my sight.

as much as i want to follow him, i'm tired. i've been out of my house and bed all day. i think it's best i head home now.

johnny orlando has secrets!