nine

Harry.

No one has ever learned about Jessa. It was the main reason my parents sent me to military school. They assumed I hurt her which caused little Jessa to stop breathing, but they assumed. No one should assume. Saying her name...Jessa; it pains me but I have someone to hold. To be able to know the same pain as another, especially one as great as death, holds a certain privilege. That privilege is to know the horror seen; to feel the same as another person.

Expressing my feelings has always been uncomfortable. I was always let down in my younger age due to the suffering endured through punishments. I grieved for my life during those times; feeling sorry for myself because I felt so pathetic. So I built my walls. Those walls have been indestructible for almost ten years and they have finally been cracked.

Every tear shed and word I mutter breaks the walls and I hold onto the one thing I've never thought I could open up to.

Leslie Brooks.

She's given me a part of her heart that cares for me. Her opinion matters and I wouldn't let anything hurt her. Leslie believes in me when no one else has and she cares.

My arms tighten around her body and she sniffles, my back leaning against the wall. Her fingers rub my chest, feeling my body over the material of my shirt. I don't think anything could make me leave her. The protective nature I feel over her in the time we've spent together forbids me from leaving her. She's made me recognize who I was before the darkness hit and the weight of the hatred in my body gradually lifts.

Her small body curls onto mine, her legs wrapping around my waist. I cross my own and my eyes close, leaning my head against Leslie's. I hear her soft breathing and I look down at her, gazing upon the beautiful girl sleeping in my arms.

After a long night, sleep not coming to me, Leslie stirs and I wrap her in my arms tighter. Exhaustion is evident on her features and I can't imagine what I look like. But she keeps her eyes open, bringing her hand to my cheek.

"How are you?" she asks, her voice strained from the tears.

"I'm good. How are you?" I ask, concerned about her.

"Good. You're an excellent cuddler," she smiles, my lips smiling at her bright pearly teeth.

"Good to know," I tell her, her lips releasing a laugh. She kisses my cheek and attempts to roll off me, but I pull her back. She smiles and leans her forehead on mine.

"What's up Harry?" she asks, my lips smiling.

"Can I...kiss you?" I ask, a lovely smile crossing her lips. She nods and bites her bottom lip, my lips pressing to hers in a second. Her hands hug my cheeks and she moves her head back.

"I should probably get going. The guys need to discuss some things with me," I tell her, her lip popping out. I smile and poke her bottom lip, her head leaning down and kissing me again.

"Just promise me we can go shooting again sometime," she says.

"I promise."

"Good because I enjoy whooping Niall's ass."

We laugh and she runs her finger along the side of my nose. Big green eyes look into my black ones and I lean up, kissing her quickly before lifting her up. She laughs and I lay her in her bed, moving the covers over her.

"You get some sleep. I'll be back later," I say, kissing her forehead.

Her fingers grab mine and pulls me back, momentarily pressing a kiss to my lips. "I'll sneak out tonight," she whispers, my lips smiling.