R E A S O N T W O

You don't really notice little things in high school, yes you hear the rumours, who's dating who, what big party happened on the weekend, sports announcements, what shady things that happens behind the bleachers. And the most unlikely thing that you wish never happens; death. An worst of it all death of classmate, a friend, who had a life. A family, people who loved them. Those who did good by them and those that killed them inside. We've all had our fair share of grief in our lives.

This is about the love you lost, the one that no one could imagine losing.

Jeff Atkins.

You both had been best friends since you were 6, you started dating freshman year of high school. You had liked him for a while so being the bold and bright girl you were you took him to the top of the highest hill in town. You both sat there for hours, until it happened.

They had been so nervous the entire walk up these hills. They both sat there staring down at the city before you. The busy streets, the twinkling lights. It started to get dark and cold. Jeff wrapped his arms around her instinctively. If anyone looked they would think they were already together, they both wished it. Neither did anything about it and haven't for a few years now.

"Jeff I have to tell you something" she mumbled into his chest as she looked up at him. "its been eating me alive for a while now, but I-I.." She sat up and took a deep breath she looked into his eyes. "I like you, a lot" she breathed out, a small smile on her face. She began fiddling with her fingers, trying to distract herself from the silent boy in front of her.

"you have no idea, how long Ive wanted to tell you, Ro" he said as he lifted her chin to look at him, he leaned his forehead on hers as he whispered the next bit.
"I like you too Rose Walker"

That was the start of a love story that should have lasted a lifetime. But it didn't because of 2 people. You know her, you're best friends with her. Her and I did a terrible thing that we both regret. That we wish never happened. Jeff wasn't drunk. He drove through a stop sign that had been knocked down a couple minutes prior to you both crashing.

"Jeff you still going on that beer run!" Someone yelled at the boy who stood talking to Clay on the front lawn of Jessica Davis house. The girl that stood next to him had been drinking. She had needed the time to wind down. All the stress going on in her life, she needed a break.

"You're not gonna drive are you?" Clay said as Jeff laughed. "its Cola dude. I had a two beers two hours ago. I'm completely sober, I cant risk this egg doing stupid shit tonight" he said as he wrapped his arm around his girlfriend of almost 4 years. She laughed as he leant down and kissed her head. Something he had always done, ever since they were kids.

"Now go back upstairs and go talk to Hannah or I'm going to" Jeff said as he pushed Clay back inside but the other boy shook his head. Saying goodbye to Jeff and Rose as he started walking home.
Jeff shrugged as he yelled to Sheri to move her car.

"C'mon then beautiful, we'll go do the beer run and then its bed time for us" he said as he hugged the girl he loved. He had no idea what life would be like if hadn't been best friends with her. If he hadn't formed feelings for her, his life just wouldn't be the same. He needed her just as much as she needed him. They both had become each others support, life line.

They had been to get the alcohol. They were on there way back to the party. Rose had a box of beer in front of her legs. She sat there staring at Jeff drive, he soon noticed her staring.

"whats up babe?" He said as she smiled at him. "I'm thinking about our life, our future" she said as she felt his hand on her thigh. A small squeeze as smiled at her. "And what about it?" He said laughing as she started babbling about college and careers.

"I cant wait till we get married and start a family" she bluntly said taking him by surprise. Sure they had talked about wanting to get married but not that much was said about it. "We are going to have at least three kids" she said as she stared at the boy driving. "Are we now?" He questioned softly knowing he wants nothing more than to be with her forever.

"You are going to be the best dad in the world." She said as she started mumbling falling asleep in the car.
Jeff smiled at the girl next to him knowing that his future, may not be completely clear but he knew that the girl right here. Would always be with him, no matter what happened. He loved her more than life.

But he didn't know what would happen next.
"I love you Rose Walker" he said smiling as he drove through the intersection.
Staring at her, as she mumbled "I love you too Je-" it was cut short. His car being rammed by another, the harsh sound of metal clattering together.

Glass shattering, screams and sirens.
This being the young love birds last night.

But who could've known that.

I had tried to tell you, god did I try. But every time anyone brought up Jeff you would shut off. You didn't want to talk about him. Hell no one wanted to talk about him. It was a horrible thing but it happened and now I wish I had tried harder or at least stayed at the stop sign until I found someone with a phone.

Rose stood at her locker, not really willing to open it. Knowing that on the other side is photos of Jeff an her, little notes he had wrote to keep her motivated. She looked down the hall at his locker, knowing he had some of her things in it as well. His parents had asked her to go through it for them. She wasn't to sure if she could, his mom was going to come down and go through it with her. It was her first day at Liberty High with out Jeff by her side.

"Rose, can I talk to you" she heard looking and seeing Hannah standing next to her.

"Sure Han, what about?" She said as she opened her locker, trying to focus on just getting her stuff out and not the memories it contained.

"Its about Jeff" she froze, everyone said sorry and that they miss him. The only people you really talk about him with is his parents. She felt her throat close as the tears burned her eyes.

"No" she whispered out she turned to the brunette beside her. Hannah had tears slowly falling down her face. Looking back at her locker trying to get the bad thoughts out of her head.

"But its impo-" she was cut off by slamming her locker shut.
"No Hannah, its been 6 days. 6 days that I've had to live without him. And right now I don't want to talk to anyone so just leave me the hell alone!" She yelled as she walked past her, and kept going straight out the door.

I tried Rose, I did. I wanted to tell you when we sat down and talked at Monets. I wanted to tell you those 3 days you were in that coma or when you woke up, but I just couldn't do it. I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you sooner.
This is definitely the worst thing I've done in life, an I wish I could take it back. Or at least told you to your face and not over a tape.
I'm sorry Rose.
Hopefully one day you will forgive me.