Chapter 1 - Tears

---*Ashfur's P.O.V*---

Ashfur woke up one morning, feeling confident that today was going to be an, at least, okay day.

He thought that maybe, just maybe, Squirrelflight, a beautiful she-cat, would want to hunt with him.

He stretched his limbs, hoping to get the rest of sleep off him, and walked over to where Squirrelflight was sitting, a few fox-lengths ahead of him, near the fresh-kill pile.

She turned her head and looked straight at him. He stopped.

Ashfur held his breath.

But then she smiled, and he breathed out again, as if he'd been drowning for a moon. His heart warmed.

He loves it when she smiles. She can warm a toms heart, but can break it just as fast.

Maybe all she-cats are like that, he thought. Most.

He walked over to Squirrelflight, who's smile quickly disappeared like lightning.

But Ashfur kept his smile. Until he saw her.

"What's wrong, Squirrelflight?" He asked. "Are you okay?"

With hesitation in her voice, she replied. "Ashfur, I don't love you anymore. I don't think I ever did, I'm sorry."

Ashfur, who couldn't believe his ears, stood up and faced her, fur bristling with shock.

"Y-you're joking. Of course you're joking!" He said. "I loved you. You loved me, right?"

The ginger she-cat shook her head sadly. "No. I'm sorry, Ashfur."

Just when she finished the sentence, Brambleclaw padded up to the conversation.

She continued when Ashfur didn't say anything. "I love Brambleclaw, now."

Ashfur, mixed emotions within him, ran out of camp, tears streaming down his cheeks.

Brambleclaw was his friend! Be stole her from him. How could Brambleclaw do such a thing?!

Then he remembered Brambleclaw's father, Tigerstar. The murderous traitor! Brambleclaw is like his father. Not a murderer, but a traitor!

He slowed his pace, reaching a river. Green grass and the scent of prey filled his nostrils. He wasn't hungry though. Squirrelflight ruined his appetite.

He sat by the river, lungs and muscles burning from running the whole time, crying.

"I hate my life!" He cried out. "Everything bad happens to me! I can't remember when anything good or decent happened in my life!"

The thought about how his mother died when he was just a new apprentice. Just a moon or so of being apprenticed, but his mothers deaths sent him rage an sadness. He never wanted to feel like that again.

Never again...

"Why is it always me...?" He whispered.