Chapter 2

Confusion.

Grief.

Fear.

Loss.

These are four things I never really understood, until now. That dream; the dream that had stripped my of all my defences. Left me totally useless; helpless.
I'm terrified that, faced with the voice again, I might scream, and run away.
I know I will scream and run away.

"Kani? Kani, Noah's here." I saw my mother walk into my room, the dust on the floor swirling before settling again.

Relief coursed through my body.

Noah.

The one person who would never leave my side.

He walked into my room, ducking, to fit under the small door frame.

Noah.

Noah's thick, brown locks straightened as he ran his hand through it. His eyes, I thought, not quite brown. Honey on gold. But something was off. I could feel it deep in my bones, in the pit of my stomach. Noah's face was filled with dread. His eyes were grim.

My happiness was replaced by another emotion. One that I had not felt before.

Terror.

My whole body went rigid, tensing, sensing danger.

"Noah?" I looked at him in senseless disbelief," Noah - What's going on?"

He look at me, then muttered words I didn't understand.

"When they said...I didn't...I never thought that you were-"
"Noah." I spoke more urgently now. "What is happening?" I looked at him, my pent-up anger exploding in front of him. I hate being kept in the dark. I hate seeming weak.
I hate that I'm terrified.
"You tell me, right now what is going on!"

His hair fell flat across his face, sweat dripping down his neck. I felt his shoulders tense slightly, his his liquid eyes harden. His breaths became shallow, his face pale.
"Kani," He sighed, shaking," you better sit down for this. Your going to hear something out of the ordinary here, okay? Just don't freak."
"Please, Noah. What's going on?"
"Kani...there's no easy way to say this. You're not, well..."
He closed his eyes.
"Human."

"That's really funny, Noah," I looked around my room, eyes resting on the photo of me and my mom," Now what's wrong, seriously."

Noah opened his eyes, face dark.

"I'm not joking."

"Sure, you're not." I suppressed laughter.

"I'm not."

"Yeah, right."

"Grow up, Kani, I'm not!" His voice was hard and firm, empty of all humour. I flinched at his outburst.
He spoke again, softly, his words carefully chosen.

"I'm sorry about this, K. It's for your own good."

Before I could answer, the world was spinning, and I saw a blinding light.