Prologue

It was a festive night in the kingdom of Clubs.

Guests from all of the four kingdoms had come to Clubs for one occasion- the ninth birthday of the King's beloved only daughter. Anastasia.

Ana was a small girl, short for her age but not too small that it would arouse any concerns. After all, her mother came from a large family of short height. She had long, light brown hair - an effect of the mixing of her mother's darker brown and her father's platinum blond - and wide amber eyes. She always wore a blue bow, a gift from her aunt.

She was the youngest in a set of three, and the only girl. Her oldest brother, Yuri, was the crown prince. He was to become king on his eighteenth birthday - only a year away.

Yuri could be considered mature, in a way. He spent the most time being raised by Toris, their father's favorite servant, and picked up a lot from him. He was very patient with her and Zemin's antics, and maybe the slightest bit overprotective.

Zemin, at thirteen years of age, was less disciplined and more of a slacker...in a almost good way. He was his parents' 'problem child', constantly bouncing off walls.

It was a very extravagant party for a nine year old, but King Ivan was quite famous for spoiling his children, especially little Anastasia.

A young boy in blue armor stood off to the side, beside a man that was his father. Maximo Muchado, head guard of Spades, had taken in the boy, Luis, as a baby after his birth parents had tragically died. Now, at eleven years old, he was training to be the personal guard for Princess Mikayla, Anastasia's maternal cousin and second in line to the Spadian crown.

"Papa," He asked softly, noticing the princess swaying along to the music on the dance floor, "Do you think King Alfred would mind if I asked his niece to dance?"

"Why not?" Maximo questioned. "It is her birthday. I doubt he'd deny that....though he is rather stupid."

Luis nodded, and made his way over to the princess. "Happy birthday, your majesty," he bowed, "my name is Luis Muchado."

"Oh, you're Mikayla's friend!" She exclaimed in recognition.

"Technically, I'm gonna be her guard," he shrugged, "so, more as she puts it, a constant annoyance."

"Are you annoying?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't think so." He shrugged. "Your cousin just seems kind of grumpy like that."

"She's like that." Ana shrugged. "So...do you like to dance?"

"Yeah!" Luis nodded enthusiastically. "That's actually what I came over to ask you."

"Good timing," she exclaimed, eyes lighting up, "my favorite song is playing."

"Really? It's mine too!" The boy grinned, taking her hand in his and attempting to copy the adults' movements.

They continued talking and dancing for about an hour before her family beckoned her over.

"I gotta go," she explained, "I'll talk to you later?"

"Definitely." He grinned, watching her run off before going to search for Mikayla.

"Happy Birthday, подсолнух." Her father, King Ivan, greeted.

"Yuri has something for you." Her mother, Queen Chun-Yan, smiled. Yuri smiled awkwardly, and handed her a box.

"It's beautiful," she beamed, face scrunching up as she studied it, "is it a jewelry box?"

"Nope." Yuri smiled mischievously as he showed his little sister another item. A necklace. He placed the necklace in the slot of the box, twisted it, and music flowed out.