Chapter 7

Let’s take a moment to process the slightly catastrophic and demeaning events that have taken place over the course of my high school career. I, Marissa Parker, have taken down the Barbie-like she-bitch, changed my image from one category of popularity to another, kept my rather whory actions a secret from my over-protective, strict, and perfectionist parents, and have acquired a new resident who just happens to be my new best friend, Kimberly’s ex-boyfriend, captain of the football team, and the remote jerk who kept his parents stalker problems a secret from me. How have I kept sane through all of these crazy events? I ask myself that question as I lay thrown across my bed, sulking at how unrealistically complicated my life has become. I can hear my parents talking downstairs to Matt and his parents. They believe to be wrapping up any questions about Matt’s living arrangements and I can hear the faint sound of suitcases being thumped up the stairs.                                         I slowly drag myself off of my bed and walk to the bathroom to wipe off any running mascara and eyeliner marks that may have been left over from crying. I can hear Matt carrying things into his room and dropping boxes onto the wood floors. He is making so much noise that I can hear it through the closed bathroom door and their walls. I pick up a tissue and begin wiping away the eyeliner on my left eye, when the door opens and Matt stands in the door way. He isn’t saying anything so I think about what I should say myself. Should I be mad at my best friend for not telling me what was going on between our parents? Should I just accept the fact that he didn’t and then move on? I can’t spend the whole time he is staying here mad at him for something he didn’t tell me. I come to the conclusion that if he is staying here I should at least be friendly towards him. The things going on with his parents are probably really stressful for him and I don’t want to cause any unneeded problems. I wonder if his life is as complicated as mine.

“Hey. I am really sorry about not telling you, Marissa. I just didn’t want you to freak out or be worried. It has been very weird with my parents and I just didn’t want a lot of people to know. It’s not that I don’t trust you. There is just a lot to explain.” Matt says in a gentle, genuine voice. I realize at this point that I can’t stay mad at him. He is my best friend and he seems to being going through a lot of stuff just like me. I move towards him and give him a hug. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me towards his chest. I can feel his abs pressed against me. No wonder he is captain of the football team. The hug is all he needs to know that I am not mad at him anymore.

“Need any help unpacking?”

“No thanks. I’m good.” He releases his grip around my waist and smiles. He waves a small goodbye and then walks down the hallway to his room. I finish my makeup repair and head to my room to check for messages from the unknown guy who seems to have me figured out and protected. As I walk through the door, I see the screen of my laptop light up and I hear my message ‘ping’. I sit down in my desk chair and sign into my instant message account. The message pops up immediately.

MakeHerHappy21:  Aye girl. What’s up?

RollingDice77: Aye guy. ;) Nothing much. Wbu?

MakeHerHappy21: Messaging a pretty girl. J

RollingDice77: Who?

MakeHerHappy21: u

RollingDice77: Why can’t you tell me who you are?

MakeHerHappy21: Cause you will flip

RollingDice77: So u r neva gonna tell me?

MakeHerHappy21: If you can figure out a riddle I will

RollingDice77: kk tell me the riddle.

MakeHerHappy77: if u say t or d and I say d what do u say