Chapter One

Disclaimer: I don't own One Piece, yet.

I do, however, own Kira, my OC. Please don't use her or if you do, give credit.

*There are fourteen division commanders under Whitebeard's command.

"Oi, Pops!" Kira, first division commander* of the Whitebeard pirates, tapped her foot on the tan floorboards of the Moby Dick impatiently, rolling her eyes at her captain's slowness. The giant ship violently rocked back and forth on the huge, frothy waves that were slamming its side. Thunder boomed overhead, and lightning flashed, illuminating Kira's face in the darkness of Whitebeard's massive captain's cabin. Thatch, commander of the fourth division, was standing beside her, leaning against the wooden wall.

The old man groaned, the bed creaking under him as he rolled up into a sitting position. His nose tubes clanked against the wooden bed frame as he adjusted them. His bare chest was flecked with scars older than Kira had been alive.

Edward Newgate, Kira thought with a smile, her teeth flashing, You never change, do you? She tugged on her clean white gloves, annoyed both by the sweat now soaking her hands and the fact that she had to keep them on all the time, around anyone on the crew who had eaten a devil fruit and especially her division members and captain.

At 17 years old, Kira was the youngest commander to ever rank as high as first division on Whitebeard's ships. Ever since Edward Newgate, A.K.A Whitebeard, had taken her in as a little girl and raised her to be a pirate she had always worked her hardest to impress him, training day and night in hand-to-hand combat against the toughest opponents on the ship, studying with Marco, (a blond haired man much older than she was, but was taken in at the same time and became like a brother to her) until her brain hurt, and even eating a devil fruit to become so powerful she even scared herself. It was eating the devil fruit she regretted most, because now she could not touch anyone else with a devil fruit power, though finally she was awarded one year ago on this day, when she earned the title of first division commander, beating Marco in the final match and proving her strength, landing him the title of third division commander. The only person on the ship who ranked higher than Kira did was Whitebeard, the captain.

"Pops!" Kira crossed her arms. She knew she should be patient with him, but her cross tone snapped him awake, and he glared at her.

"What, Kira?" Whitebeard's grumpy attitude and violent temper were some of the many things that got him crowned the Strongest Man in the World, or The Man Closest to the One Piece. Having eaten the Tremor-Tremor devil fruit, or the Gura-Gura no Mi, Whitebeard had the ability to create earthquakes that shook both earth and sea. He could crack the air and create explosions that were known to destroy mountains, buildings and people. At 12-13 feet tall, Whitebeard, (Also known as Pops or Old Man to his crew) was a giant. He wore no shirt but instead a jacket, very much resembling one of the navy's, that had his symbol, a skull with a mustache and a horizontal bone crossed behind the skull with a vertical bone, on it. His weapon was a bisento, meaning "brow blade", and it's massive size fit only its owner. It had a striped pole, with a dubbed end. It brought destruction to all it crossed.

"Pops, somebody wants to take your head." Kira tried to force urgency into her voice, pressing the issue down hard upon him.

Whitebeard rolled his piercing grey eyes. "You will have to be more specific. Thousands want to take my head."

Thatch groaned, shifting his weight to his right leg. He absolutely loathed it when Whitebeard joked about the entire navy, plus an endless number of pirates, wanting to kill him. Kira hated it too; Whitebeard was like a father to all of the crew, the only home most of them ever had.

Whitebeard glanced at Thatch and chuckled, the deep sound resonating from his chest. "Alright, Kira, who is it after me now?" He tilted his head in permission for her to continue.