chapter 3

We returned to class with just half an hour to spare. I sat down at my desk and Nathan sat next to me. It was weird; I was never used to having anybody sit next to me. It was always just me, on my own, as usual. ‘That's Mr. Bennate; you don’t want to get on his bad side. He’ll do whatever it takes to get on your nerves just so you get yourself into trouble if you do’ I muttered only loud enough for Nathan to hear. ‘Have you got something to share with the class Miss. Flemings?’ Mr. Bennate called out. ‘No sir, I was just explaining to Nathan here what we’re currently studying’ I said in a sweet voice. ‘Fair enough, as you were’ he says returning back to the board. ‘Nice save’ Nathan whispered, I gave him a cheeky wink. What was with me today? I never usually spoke this much? I thought to myself. Snap out of it Becca, stop staring at him! Wait was he staring at me too? I quickly looked to the front. I noticed something sir put on the board. ‘Excuse me Sir?’ I said. He turned around. ‘Is there something wrong Becca?’ he sighed. ‘I believed you’ve labelled the diagram wrong’ I spoke up. He stared at me like I’d just said something insulting about his mother. ‘I don’t believe I have’ he snapped. ‘But isn’t the nucleus, the little oval shape in the bottom of the cell and isn’t that called the cytoplasm?’ I pointed out, he looked at the diagram. ‘I do believe it is thank you for pointing that out Becca. Extra credit’ he said, changing it. ‘Smart arse’ Nathan mumbled. I kicked him under the table. ‘Ow!’ he let out a yelp. ‘Problem Mr...?’ Sir trailed off. ‘Sykes, Nathan Sykes and no sir, just trapped my, erm, finger’ he mumbled. ‘Well Mr. Sykes, welcome to the class’ he said turning back to the board. The lesson was soon over. ‘So where to now?’ Nathan asked.