i

"Emma, come down here!" I set my chemistry book down and walked down the old stairs, looking for the source of the voice.

"Kitchen!" Elise's voice called over the hustle of the younger kids. I walked towards the kitchen and saw that she was shouldering her purse.

"Hey kiddo, how was school?" I sat down on the stool, laughing along with her.

"Kidding. How was your second to last day of summer?" I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Boring. Still having to read my chemistry book so I can be caught up." She smiled.

"We can always get a tutor." I shook my head and glanced her over.

"Where are you headed?" She lifted her chin.

"I've got a job interview with Peter's tonight. After that, I'm gonna meet Sandra for dinner and a few drinks." I laughed and stood.

"Good luck. And stay out as long as you want, you deserve it." She stopped rifling through her purse and glanced at me.

"There's a new one coming in tonight." I sighed.

"El, how many more are you gonna take in?" She smiled and pulled me in for a hug.

"It's the last one. I promise." I pulled away and pulled at a strand of her hair.

"Ok. When are they coming." I watched as she walked towards the kids to say goodbye.

"He should be here around 9." He?

"I'll be back later. Be good!" And with that, I was alone in the kitchen.

"Emma, come put a movie on for us!" I trudged over to the living room and put on A Bugs Life.

"Okay, it's seven o'clock now. When the movie gets over, it's bed time." They nodded, theirs eyes glued to the screen.
———————————
   Everyone was in bed by 9:30pm and the kid still wasn't here. I was wondering why they were keeping a young kid out this late. I picked up my phone dialing Elise. A knock sounded at the door. I ended the call and walked towards the door.
   Holy shit. A tall figure stood in the doorway, the porch light casting a shadow across his face. I grabbed the wooden bat by the door and opened it. The figure rushed in and my reflexes kicked in. I sling the bat against his shoulder.

"Fuck!" The hand grabbed the bat and ripped it from my hands. I struck out and clawed whatever I could.

"Shit! Stop!" The hands grabbed my arms, pushing me against the wall in the kitchen and pinning my hands above my head.

"Hello there," I opened my eyes to see a face inches from mine. He was attractive. He had dark eyes and a strong jawline. A freckle was right beside his left eye and one was on his right jaw. His hair was shaggy and had a blue streak in it. There were curls of dark locks around his ears and made it look like he had wings there. He had bleeding scratches along his jaw, chin and lips, and one across the corner of his forehead.

"Who the fuck are you?" I asked, trying to escape his grip.

"I could ask the same. I'm Ethan the foster kid." My eyes grew large. I instantly felt bad.

"Oh shit. I'm so sorry, I was expecting a...younger kid. Normally that's all we get." He nodded.

"Yeah. Now, do you think you have something for my shoulder and face?" I smiled-barely-and pulled away.

"Sit," I told him as I grabbed a bag of frozen peas from the freezer and a wet rag from the counter. He jumped up on the counter and pulled his shirt over his head. His stomach was tanned and decorated with a six-pack.

"Okay," I cleared my throat and went to look at the damage. He spread his legs and, without thinking, I stood between them and my stomach pressed against his crotch.
   There was already a bruise blossoming on his shoulder so I lightly pressed the bag on top of it.

"Hold that?" His hand covered mine and held the peas there. I started on his face.

"It might sting. It's just the hydrogen peroxide." He nodded, smirking at me as I pressed the towel against the cut in his jaw. He winced and pulled away.

"Oh, stop being a puss," he laughed and relaxed as I continued.

"A puss? Wow, never head that one before. Although, I have heard pussy and I'm really craving a specific one right now." I choked on my spit.

"Oh my god! You're vile!" He laughed as I tried to catch my breath.

"It's true." I rolled my eyes and pushed his back against the cabinets to finish cleaning the one on his forehead and then moving to the one on his lips. "3am" by Finding Hope played faintly as we were silent. He studied my face while I carefully cleaned the damage I made.

"What?" I asked quietly, looking in his eyes. I realized that they were a green-hazel. They were mostly green but had specks of brown and gold in them.

"You're beautiful," I faked a laugh and rolled my eyes.

"Are you sure the bat didn't hit your head?" He smiled softly and grabbed my chin, making me look at him.

"You are. You deserve to be told that everyday so I'm going to do it." So he could be sweet. I placed a had on his cheek.

"Thank you."